Sign in to follow this  
UggRedBilly

What caliber should I buy?

Just now, NOTAGS said:

There' several guys on this sight who have killed their bison with the 270 that I know of, one a bull and one a cow.  As I told you about that 243, Dont let anyone tell you its not enough gun.  With  quality  bullets and good shot placement, that 243 of mine has taken several elk to the processor.  None have gone more than 50 yds .  Plus the recoil is a dream.  I love shooting that gun, put a light trigger in it and go kill stuff!

Yeah it's really great! I can shoot it all day, but with that ammo I got from you I dont wanna ruin that barrel!

9 minutes ago, azbirdhunter88 said:

45-70

Naw man too light I wanna get draw for something so I can use my 416 rigby. I still havent bought any ammo for it yet last i looked 3 years ago at cabelas it was 140 bucks for 20 rounds, the expensive stuff was almost 200 for 20.

I do have brass dies powder primers for it just missing bullets.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Delw said:

Naw man too light I wanna get draw for something so I can use my 416 rigby. I still havent bought any ammo for it yet last i looked 3 years ago at cabelas it was 140 bucks for 20 rounds, the expensive stuff was almost 200 for 20.

Dang that is crazy. I cant imagine paying that much for any bullet

10 minutes ago, Delw said:

Let’s go to Africa 

My family has all used a 270 win for many years and it has always been a good solid round.  Nothing in AZ you cant hunt with it.  I put a brake on for a kid and that is super sweet to shoot.

• Like 1

270 is also an option for me too! I see that there is the same number but a different name for different calibers. Like there is 300 Mag. Then I see 300 WSM same with the .270 and the 270 WSM what does that mean exactly? And let's say I get the 270, would that gun shoot normal 270 and the WSM?

3 minutes ago, UggRedBilly said:

270 is also an option for me too! I see that there is the same number but a different name for different calibers. Like there is 300 Mag. Then I see 300 WSM same with the .270 and the 270 WSM what does that mean exactly? And let's say I get the 270, would that gun shoot normal 270 and the WSM?

They are all different cartridges and not interchangeable. WSM stands for Winchester Short Magnum.

• Like 2

WSM is Winchester Short Magnum.  Shorter case, short action rifle.  ballistics are pretty close to the same from the  regular cartridge, at least in the 300

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, azbirdhunter88 said:

I don’t know why but a 270 kicks like a mule 

Forgot..... Remington has similar cartridges to the WSMs call SAUMs for Short Action Ultra Magnum.

• Like 2

.270, .308, 30-06 are good to go for everything. You can always shoot a lighter load until you get used to the rifle. Take your pick and start shooting.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, azbirdhunter88 said:

Let’s go to Africa 

That would be something. I think the only thing I really want from Africa is a zebra and maybe a giraffe.

6 minutes ago, azbirdhunter88 said:

I don’t know why but a 270 kicks like a mule 

I have a Winchester pre64 in 270 , it kicks a tad bit harder than my browning lever action in 308, ive only shot it maybe 20-25 times in 30+ years never at game just paper. Dad had one also a pre 64 that he used for everything. especially hogs in Texas and whitetails in upstate NY and Texas. 

The also have a wssm which is a Winchester super short magnum . if I recall all those are based off 404 jeffery case cut down.

heres a pic of the .223 WSSM  .300 WSM .300 win mag and a 416 rifby

IMG_1712a.jpg