Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Ballistic Products Inc. has the buffer, buckshot, and a great manual specific to buck shot reloading. Forgot to mention that manual. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Update.   Still no manual.  I was wanting/ looking for Lyman 5th Shotshell but it’s sold out every where, even at BPI

but have read a ton of stuff online from different sources.  I now understand how much I under estimated reloading shotshell.  I have learned straight vs taper wall hulls, oval vs square basewads, that changing primers can greatly effect PSI etc...

my hulls are Win Super X, but looking at picking up some WinAA.  CB1138-12 wads, powder is Alliant (Herco) 25g, with Win 209 primers, shot is 1 1/4 of 000. 
 

according to the Alliant recipes this should get me 1,225 FPS and 9,500 PSI in the gun 
 

Looking to see if I got a halfway close recipe or still missing something 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Glad you updated it, keep on doing it please.

did you get any buckshot yet? if so where?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Delw said:

Glad you updated it, keep on doing it please.

did you get any buckshot yet? if so where?

 

Picked up 000 5lb from Midway USA.    I want to do this right, so don’t mind posting updates, might help someone else at some point.    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

thanks, I think I am going to start loading #4 buck for yotes.

I still havent dug out my books and my fathers old cheat sheets yet, when I do I will get them to you

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anything you can send would great.  
 

to all... while looking through recipes, none list shot type. I have read that the powder, hull, wad doesn’t care what shot is there as long as the weight is the same .   Yet, that leads to buffer.  I haven’t seen a recipe that list buffer.  I know it’s used to stop deformities in the shot.  But, I have read that a lot of people do not use buffer with the hardened buckshot because they will not deform.  And, the buffer must be included In the weight. This leads to my question of... does /can buffer change the pressure of a load?   Buffer vs no buffer with the same primer, Hull, wad, and powder? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Bpursell said:

Anything you can send would great.  
 

to all... while looking through recipes, none list shot type. I have read that the powder, hull, wad doesn’t care what shot is there as long as the weight is the same .   Yet, that leads to buffer.  I haven’t seen a recipe that list buffer.  I know it’s used to stop deformities in the shot.  But, I have read that a lot of people do not use buffer with the hardened buckshot because they will not deform.  And, the buffer must be included In the weight. This leads to my question of... does /can buffer change the pressure of a load?   Buffer vs no buffer with the same primer, Hull, wad, and powder? 

most buffers wont add to much as far as weight it shouldnt change your pressure or load. use the same. your weight could be 1/16 off and your not going to see any issues.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

heres some info with links

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?406112-First-2-3-4-quot-00-buckshot-shells

this one is very good lots of info and buffer grain amounts

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?139560-Faster-Buckshot-loads!

Now I might have to start making my own buckshot. didnt know the tumbled it to get it round, that was the only reason I didnt make it was I could never get it round.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Delw those links are great.  Lots of info.  But one post about 5 pages in did say only to buffer if recipe calls for it.  Something about acting as a solid mass that increases the psi.    
 

I stop by local store today and found Lee .375 lead balls in the clearance bin.  Picked that box and some Win AA gray hulls and some Rem Gun Club hulls up.  Ordered some 3" cheddite primed hulls, x12x plugs, Mylar wraps, and some Mix 47 buffer from BPI last night too.  
 

one day I will have so much stuff I can actually put something together 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Bpursell said:

Delw those links are great.  Lots of info.  But one post about 5 pages in did say only to buffer if recipe calls for it.  Something about acting as a solid mass that increases the psi.   

Yes I noticed that as well.

I found some round lead balls in the loading room dont know what size ill have to measure them. look around 5/16 dia. they were in a old see's candy box (small one)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, I loaded a handful of 2 3/4 WAA hulls, with 25g of Herco, cb 1138-12 wads, 1 1/4 (really closer to 1 1/8 due to size and number of 000) and tested them.   Seemed kind of weak.  They shot fine, but more like low recoil rounds.   So looking for more recipes now.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There's a guy on YouTube named Wade Rush, channel name is Bubba Roundtree Outdoors, who has many videos on loading buckshot. He is in South Carolina where they run dogs for whitetails and they shoot all kinds of buckshot loads. He explains all components and target tests each one. You should check him out, good stuff.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×