This might not be the most popular topic ever, but I know absolutely 0 about hunting ducks down here. I have recently caught the bug. Driving to puddles in 36b, shooting and missing is very in-efficient.

Any suggestions?

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, AZLance said:

get a different hobby!

You better calm down old man. Its about time we start looking for your nursing home.

A guide won’t help you with the missing part.  If you’re shooting then you don’t need a guide.  Just keep at it, you’ll figure it out.  Unless they’ve got good private access a guide will do you no good.  Jumping tanks is a fun way to start.  It’s just like deer hunting.  Glass them up.  Sneak up and shoot them.  

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, yotebuster said:

A guide won’t help you with the missing part.  If you’re shooting then you don’t need a guide.  Just keep at it, you’ll figure it out.  Unless they’ve got good private access a guide will do you no good.  Jumping tanks is a fun way to start.  It’s just like deer hunting.  Glass them up.  Sneak up and shoot them.  

Of course not.

But more opportunities will help with the missing part.

• Haha 1

That's pretty much how I got into it. I just figured out where ponds are with water and figured out a route. Ducks are really skittish this year along with many ponds being dry. If you don't have a dog like myself I always bring a fishing pole. Wading into cow ponds in the winter sucks. 

• Like 1

Maybe a couple rounds of sporting clays will help you with the misses,  if you keep missing, it could be that your shotgun doesn't fit. PM sent.

1 hour ago, rkv09 said:

That's pretty much how I got into it. I just figured out where ponds are with water and figured out a route. Ducks are really skittish this year along with many ponds being dry. If you don't have a dog like myself I always bring a fishing pole. Wading into cow ponds in the winter sucks. 

I had a rod and a giant top water popper in the truck... I didnt need it.

There are a few I knew by where I deer hunt, and they had a good number of ducks.

Its a long way to go for just a couple ponds.

We hunted them for years it is a blast but I have not hunted the last few years.  PM me if you need to borrow decoys, we have way more than we can use.  I can probably point you at a couple of other places to hit if you are willing to travel a bit.  Anything close to the valley stinks other than the reservoirs.

The last time I did it several years ago. I retired on top. One pond, I got two male pintails, a male and female mallard and a male wood duck.  Just wait a couple of days after a cold front then pond hop.