CatfishKev

Camera Poll

Camera Poll  

203 members have voted

1. 1. I think at this point everyone has heard all the pros and cons.

• Total Ban for hunting purposes
    • Cam season, Feb-July
    • Camera permit fee
    • Zero Ban on cams pertaining to hunting
    • Quarter mile from "point" water source (or however it was phrased)

Well it looks like it's 85 that want to Ban trail cams or limit their use to 42 who want to continue using them as is. Oh yeah, we need to add the the 5-0 Commissioners vote in, so now 90 want to Ban, or limit trail cams and 42 who want to leave it as is. 

So what have G&F banned in the past?  I see people talking about this but I don’t know what they banned or laws they’ve passed that hurt us.  I see where it went backwards a little like now you can use a 30 round magazine to hunt predators, you can take two Javelinas in a year, and you can hunt at night in some places.  I’m not defending them, I just don’t know what they have banned.  I’m hoping those that say they’ve banned things can answer that.

14 hours ago, Delw said:

No there not the reason we know about jags. Hound hunters are I think it was in 76-84 one was treed.

Do not think for a second that hound hunters aren't at risk of losing their right to legally hunt lions with hounds just like those of us who like to use trail cameras are about to lose our right to use trail cameras in our deer hunting areas. Whether you like trail cameras or not, you should be very hesitant to support any all out ban by the commission. I dont mean to direct this to you delw, I mean it for anybody who is on board with this ban. I can understand both sides of the argument, and I can understand the commission looking into the problem and thinking of a fix, but an all out ban statewide is overkill and is similar to punishing all of the kids at the school because some of the seniors keep ditching school. If the commission can so easily take something like trail cameras away, they will eventually take away something like using hounds to hunt cats, especially in the southern units near "jaguar country" just as easy. And it won't stop there. Our country is in bad shape because Americans are so willing to let government have full control. This is no different in my opinion. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

"I can understand both sides of the argument, and I can understand the commission looking into the problem and thinking of a fix, "   That is the problem the Dept and the commission are NOT THINKING, they are taking the easy way out and just banning.   

"an all out ban statewide is overkill and is similar to punishing all of the kids at the school because some of the seniors keep ditching school."    You are exactually right, that is the problem.  The average Joe Hunter is being punished because the for profit guides are flooding some units with cameras.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Saguaro said:

So what have G&F banned in the past?  I see people talking about this but I don’t know what they banned or laws they’ve passed that hurt us.  I see where it went backwards a little like now you can use a 30 round magazine to hunt predators, you can take two Javelinas in a year, and you can hunt at night in some places.  I’m not defending them, I just don’t know what they have banned.  I’m hoping those that say they’ve banned things can answer that.

The only 2 I can think of is cell trail cams and baiting.  I know back in the 90s leg traps were outlawed but I dont think it was the g&f that banned them. Correct me if I'm wrong but I also think that law was reversed.  The use of drones for hunting  purposes and I.R optics are probably a couple more AZGF bans.

6 minutes ago, OpticNerd said:

The only 2 I can think of is cell trail cams and baiting.  I know back in the 90s leg traps were outlawed but I dont think it was the g&f that banned them. Correct me if I'm wrong but I also think that law was reversed.  The use of drones for hunting  purposes and I.R optics are probably a couple more AZGF bans.

Thanks.  I really don’t follow the bans  from the department and at least you answered.  This is how conversations should go.  

1 hour ago, creed_az_88 said:

Do not think for a second that hound hunters aren't at risk of losing their right to legally hunt lions with hounds just like those of us who like to use trail cameras are about to lose our right to use trail cameras in our deer hunting areas. Whether you like trail cameras or not, you should be very hesitant to support any all out ban by the commission. I dont mean to direct this to you delw, I mean it for anybody who is on board with this ban. I can understand both sides of the argument, and I can understand the commission looking into the problem and thinking of a fix, but an all out ban statewide is overkill and is similar to punishing all of the kids at the school because some of the seniors keep ditching school. If the commission can so easily take something like trail cameras away, they will eventually take away something like using hounds to hunt cats, especially in the southern units near "jaguar country" just as easy. And it won't stop there. Our country is in bad shape because Americans are so willing to let government have full control. This is no different in my opinion. 

Pretty sure hound hunting is going to get the shaft sooner than later no matter what the outcome of this trail cam ban is. Hound hunting has been frowned upon by the general public and some in the hunting community for as long as I can remember. I'm surprised its lasted this long. As far as the trail cam issue I don't use them never have and probably never will. I agree that this statewide ban is not the solution just because there are problems on the strip and in a few trophy elk units. Down in the units where I mainly hunt hunt I've never seen any issues with cams. From the rumors I've heard the G&F is basically being blackmailed by the state to get cams banded.  If the G&F don't ban them the state will is what it sounds like or at least they'll try. 

54 minutes ago, Saguaro said:

Thanks.  I really don’t follow the bans  from the department and at least you answered.  This is how conversations should go.  

Predator contests and archery hunting within 1/4 mile are two very recent bans. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, creed_az_88 said:

Predator contests and archery hunting within 1/4 mile are two very recent bans. 

And just look what has happened to the pronghorn population since G&F aerial gunning and predator contests have ended. Good chance our antelope will never come back 

• Like 2

I am only thinking out loud here but I think people get pissed when they see cams because it bursts their little bubble. Reality sets in that "their" spot isn't so secret or private as they thought, even if they only walked 30 yards from the road and their side by side to get there. Treestands, blinds, etc same thing. People who hunt don't like competition from other hunters, especially when the other hunter is there first, or their stuff is. If people just had a bit of courtesy and removed their crap from the forest in a timely manner this would not be an issue. But they feel entitled to essentially litter, so here we are.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, OpticNerd said:

This is what I remember too...the IR optics and drones most recently. Electronic calls were in and out of favor a couple times too. Also any electronic sight that projects light/laser onto the target? Assuming these were all allowed (or not specifically disallowed like IR and drones) then “banned” at some point by being specifically disallowed. 

Here is an idea, how about just banning guides? Sounds like this will eliminate 90% of all the camera issues. If trail cams are banned, guides will just hire enough people to sit all the water tanks and take pictures with their cell cameras. Unless G&F want to ban taking pictures with cell cams too? Now you will just have to deal with paid guides sitting every water hole in the unit.

• Like 3

14,666 members as of right now.  

I hired dominion to run the poll and snuck in a few ballots in last night.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2