Jazz

First Elk!

The boys got their elk on that youth hunt, But this is my first elk. 7E was a hard hunt for me. I found some water that both cows and bulls were hitting at various times of the day. Total bonus, considering most of these elk are nocturnal right now. So I decided to take a walk and find the best path from the waterhole and do some still hunting. Turns out the Lord guided me to a cow about a mile out And I took her down. Day 4 ends the hunt. Took her back to camp and got her deboned.

Tomorrow is elk burgers. The family is really looking forward to it. This was a solo hunt for me,And I forgot how everything freezes when you leave camp. That was a pain in the butt. Looking forward to going home tomorrow.

DD42CE15-237E-4041-B3F8-13B512F440CD.jpeg

077B1D80-276B-4289-9A58-3F25460BB148.jpeg

D8D240B0-89F7-417E-BE27-82ADE9B3FDF1.jpeg

• Like 24

That is fantastic! Congratulations on your first elk—what an experience! And to get it done in an unexpected way adds to the journey and story. Enjoy some wonderful meat with the family 

Tough hunt over there. I heard the bull hunt started out pretty good but fizzled out with the pressure.  7E is usually a difficult riddle to crack, Congrats on getting it done.

Congrats man, 7E can be tough for sure.  A buddy of mine just got there hoping to tag out by Thursday.

8 hours ago, G_E_E said:

Congrats man, 7E can be tough for sure.  A buddy of mine just got there hoping to tag out by Thursday.

If he needs a push in the right direction shoot me a message.

Wow,  as stated tough unit.  Any solo elk hunt is not for the faint of heart (especially once you kill!) even on a cow hunt, so congrats on that as well.  And another congrats on your first elk.  That hind quarter does good justice to her size, no easy task by yourself.