tagsoup_

Spot and Stalk Mountain Lion Hunting

Looked at your profile to see where you live, noticed you are kind of new to the forum so if no one else had welcomed you... Welcome to the forum!  Also wondered because i was curious how far away you were.  I know an area particularly lion rich the reason being a combined amount of factors. I would love to thin them out and bring the deer back.  It would be about a 3 hour drive for you.   

My dream is a lion with a bow and ive been watching a lot of lion videos on youtube that got me thinking.  Spot and stalk though.... its not necessarily impossible but most times a cat is glassed up (it seams) they are on the move making it dang near impossible.  Yes it can happen, but i would not plan your success based on spot and stalk.  

Another member once told me calling in a lion has more to do with knowing a lion is already in the area, via sighting,  trail cam or fresh tracks.  Blindly calling obviosly would be less successful.  Also watch youtube vids, one had a link to different lion sounds and sold calls that really piqued my interest.  I'll try and find it and post a link.   

My first approach would be, calling with a good electronic call (good calls are expensive) like a foxpro. They do have lion sounds you can buy, as does the website i alluded to earlier.  But! The key is Calling in an area you already know is lion rich, or you saw fresh tracks or have very recent cam footage.  

Second approach, driving roads as its snowing or just freshly snowed. Drive slow, look out the window looking for a track crossing the road.  Some obvious saftey things to mention.  This a back road practice, 4x4 is a must and pay attention to the road! But once youve found a fresh track you just increased your chances big time.  Follow if you want for spot n stalk because this will likely be your best chance at true spot and stalk, or survey your surroundings and set up the call. At this point i will assume you know about wind direction, thermal currents and all that.  

Thats basically all i have to offer, but thats how i would approach it.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, bigorange said:

I’m sure nobull can put you on 10 of them...for a price. 

He would charge the going rate to other guides. Hate him or not the dude could get you a lion for sure. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Not one of the videos I mentioned, but these boys got it done where most dudes would have gave up. Worth the watch.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CatfishKev said:

Looked at your profile to see where you live, noticed you are kind of new to the forum so if no one else had welcomed you... Welcome to the forum!  Also wondered because i was curious how far away you were.  I know an area particularly lion rich the reason being a combined amount of factors. I would love to thin them out and bring the deer back.  It would be about a 3 hour drive for you.   

My dream is a lion with a bow and ive been watching a lot of lion videos on youtube that got me thinking.  Spot and stalk though.... its not necessarily impossible but most times a cat is glassed up (it seams) they are on the move making it dang near impossible.  Yes it can happen, but i would not plan your success based on spot and stalk.  

Another member once told me calling in a lion has more to do with knowing a lion is already in the area, via sighting,  trail cam or fresh tracks.  Blindly calling obviosly would be less successful.  Also watch youtube vids, one had a link to different lion sounds and sold calls that really piqued my interest.  I'll try and find it and post a link.   

My first approach would be, calling with a good electronic call (good calls are expensive) like a foxpro. They do have lion sounds you can buy, as does the website i alluded to earlier.  But! The key is Calling in an area you already know is lion rich, or you saw fresh tracks or have very recent cam footage.  

Second approach, driving roads as its snowing or just freshly snowed. Drive slow, look out the window looking for a track crossing the road.  Some obvious saftey things to mention.  This a back road practice, 4x4 is a must and pay attention to the road! But once youve found a fresh track you just increased your chances big time.  Follow if you want for spot n stalk because this will likely be your best chance at true spot and stalk, or survey your surroundings and set up the call. At this point i will assume you know about wind direction, thermal currents and all that.  

Thats basically all i have to offer, but thats how i would approach it.  

Right on thanks man. Need to do some calling

Ok, finally found the vid that that had the link to the cat calls. It really caught my interest.

The vid

Well maybe that one wasnt the one with the link. That's what happens when you go down a rabbit hole. As soon as I find it I will post.

My 14yr old son called one in this year he was coyote calling and had a coyote come running in which he shot and did not kill the coyote then ran to a small draw and headed up with my son in hot pursuit As he got about 30 yds up he seen the lion flash off to the side and out of sight startled the two of them enough I think my son had to come home and change his drawers so it can be done by just about anybody with a big handful of luck and patience

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Azmuledeer said:

My 14yr old son called one in this year he was coyote calling and had a coyote come running in which he shot and did not kill the coyote then ran to a small draw and headed up with my son in hot pursuit As he got about 30 yds up he seen the lion flash off to the side and out of sight startled the two of them enough I think my son had to come home and change his drawers so it can be done by just about anybody with a big handful of luck and patience

Thats cool kids can call in some good stuff. our oldest Daughter called in a bobcat when she was around 10 or 11. we were calling foxs in 6A , she had a 22 mag/shotgun O/U and I had a  shot gun. we were sitting about 10 feet apart from one another her watching my back and me watching hers(if you call in foxs you know why)

I saw her face and knew something was going on, kept on mouthing "shoot it shoot it" she would just like like NO. after what seemd like hours which was about a min I turned around it was a bobcat running away. she said it was cool as shoot ran right towards me calling then stopped behind me about 20-30 feet or so then took off walking into the brush. She was worried to shoot as it might hit me.

all but one cat (lions and bobcats) I called was with either a circee squeeler or a critr call squeeler. In the 30+ years I only called 2 maybe 3 in with electronic calls using a high pitch squeel.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, azbirdhunter88 said:

He would charge the going rate to other guides. Hate him or not the dude could get you a lion for sure. 

I've been tempted for 2 maybe 3 years now to book a lion hunt with him. Ive heard good things about his lion hunts. I'm just not ready to go on a dog hunt right yet.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1