tagsoup_

Spot and Stalk Mountain Lion Hunting

3 hours ago, CatfishKev said:

I guess i should be honored.  Thanks nobull  does sound fun but i just dont have an intereset in a guided lion hunt. Im hellbent on getting one myself!

For what its worth, i used to think there wasnt much sport in hunting with dogs and killkng an animal out of a tree. Until i met and went out with Dale in young.   Man it really opened my eyes, the amount of work, time and effort, not to mention gas and wear and tear, houndsmen put in is unreal. Gave me a whole new respect for them. 

Nothing wrong with wanting to kill one by yourself . I’m glad you got to to see that hunting with dogs isn’t as easy as people think . We just got a little dusting of snow so I think with the wet ground I’ll take the dogs out in the morning and see if we can get lucky . AEFF3A1F-7A26-4007-BF7F-08AF11D712EA.thumb.jpeg.87a9985e77db238b74ace6e201caf7ff.jpeg

2 hours ago, azbirdhunter88 said:

Nobull will prob guide you on an elk hunt if you ask him. 

I could handle 1/2 a day with kev knowing it’s my dogs skill that will put an end to it . An elk hunt depending on his skill is another story ! Then again kev is a rifle cow hunter so we might be able to work something out ! Ha

14 hours ago, NoBull350 said:

I could handle 1/2 a day with kev knowing it’s my dogs skill that will put an end to it . An elk hunt depending on his skill is another story ! Then again kev is a rifle cow hunter so we might be able to work something out ! Ha

Those were meat hunts before the army of kids were old enough to fill the freezer. Im happy to let them do it now and build points in the meantime.  Stick and string guy personally.

I called in this cat after glassing it up 1st. My son and I watched it until she left through a saddle. Then made a hike to get close. She came in after a few minutes but from behind us. I took this cat with a shotgun up close.

F0909BCA-562D-4167-BBEA-D240EF7760E9.jpeg

746FCD82-8E61-4948-ABD5-70D20AA62222.jpeg

2BBA403D-06EE-435A-9E90-E43E44F686BD.jpeg

• Like 9
  • Wow! 3

14 hours ago, Jeffdavison said:

I called in this cat after glassing it up 1st. My son and I watched it until she left through a saddle. Then made a hike to get close. She came in after a few minutes but from behind us. I took this cat with a shotgun up close.

F0909BCA-562D-4167-BBEA-D240EF7760E9.jpeg

746FCD82-8E61-4948-ABD5-70D20AA62222.jpeg

2BBA403D-06EE-435A-9E90-E43E44F686BD.jpeg

Buckshot or slugs?

On 12/11/2020 at 8:13 PM, CatfishKev said:

Finally found the website

http://www.rain-shadow.com/prod03.htm

Go through and read the call in stories from the link above.    There is a ton to learn on this site.    Also you need to start thinking like a prey animal instead of the prey.    Lions are very, very different to hunt then deer and elk.   I've called in quite a few and glassed up a few.   I think your odds of killing one you glassed up is slim to none.   Killing a lion by using a call can certainly be done.    The key is really knowing where lions live already.   If you are in their area then killing one is very doable.   If you are trying to kill dogs then good lucking killing a lion.    When I go calling I only call for lions and it typically isn't in areas where I would call dogs.

Oh one last thing.   The lion is right behind you!!!!!!     

• Like 1

7 hours ago, recurveman said:

If you are trying to kill dogs then good lucking killing a lion.    When I go calling I only call for lions and it typically isn't in areas where I would call dogs.

What does that mean? Different type of calls?

What if you are in an area where you are certain there is both? The area I want to hunt has lots of both but I want to target cats

12 hours ago, CatfishKev said:

What does that mean? Different type of calls?

What if you are in an area where you are certain there is both? The area I want to hunt has lots of both but I want to target cats

When I go calling normally I just call for lions.   Not that dogs and other critters won't come in but I really think most lions are in different spots than dogs.   Honestly I don't think using the "right" call is that big of a deal.   Normally I look around and see what is normally in the area.   If I'm seeing jack rabbits, cotton tails, is it fawning season, ect.   Then I will use what they would expect to hear in regards to a call.   Biggest key is being in their living room when you start calling.   I think another big key to cats is the wind.   I set up so I can see dead down wind.   Normally off to the side about 100 yards if possible and I want to spend most of my time looking down wind.   I've called in more than a few lions and 100% of the time they come dead down wind and you have to be looking that direction.  You almost don't even need to look at the call.......Just dead down wind but you need to be to the side so when they come in they don't smell you.   Also, I typically won't shoot anything that comes in unless it is a lion.   I've past many dogs waiting for a lion.    Once in a while a dog will come in very late in the calling sequence......Well I'll just make sure that my rifle is still zeroed and move on the the next calling location.

Calling in a lion is VERY doable.     

• Like 1

Normally see one or two cats a year glassing, problem been they never stop and getting a shot is impossible.

This year I glassed her up (November deer / friends hunt), she bedded for a long time, it was getting late, pulled out my call and had my friend start  calling - she stood up and hammered her at 550 yds.

4 year old female-  

2B847E41-3E2E-4B45-A5EF-B039B5B461B3.jpeg

• Like 3