tagsoup_

Spot and Stalk Mountain Lion Hunting

Anyone have experience or success spot and stalk mountain lion hunting in southern AZ? I realize its more of a luck thing, but am looking for some tips on what areas/sections of the mountain to be looking at and what to be thinking about when looking for these elusive buggers.

I spend most of November through January hunting coues deer down south, and have spent a tremendous amount of time glassing through the highest quality glass...I know where the deer are. After so many years I would have thought id find one by now... where are they hiding? I killed my November buck (110'') and will be helping a buddy these next couple weeks on his December hunt. I heard a lion scream a few times at last light in there in October so I know they're in there.

Id love you thoughts and experience! 

download.jpeg

It’s possible, I only know of one guy that has stalked one and killed it (archery).  I’ve glassed up 3 of them, and my buddy’s glassed up a couple and called a couple in.  All I can say is it’s a dang hard hunt and takes a good helping of luck.

Ive never seen one Glassing, Ive called a bunch in and have seen a bunch while driving down dirt roads after calling. seen a ton on the north rim of the canyon either in the review mirror along side of the road and one even sitting on a picnic table right across the street from jacobs lake lodge most where at night with snow on the ground.

This year going to try again to glass one up, but I dont do alot of glassing like others. everyone that has seen them glassing tells me(even the stories on this website theve said there just sunning on rocks. they blend in pretty well with most rocks from the pictures I have seen.

• Like 1

Units 36 a,b,c tons of lions, glass them up early in the am in the rocks. 

• Like 1

I’ve only seen one in all my life.  I’m 42.  I called it in by accident 18 years ago.  I’ve seen tracks on two other occasions.  I glass a lot and cover a lot of ground and have trail cameras set up.  I just don’t see them like others here do. It’s the same with bears.  I’ve only seen one of those.  It could be the areas I spend most of my time.  Those areas aren’t historically lion or bear rich.

this was from the October coues hunt this year.  Just under 700 yards away across a canyon.  There was a couple coues does feeding a few hundred yards below it at the bottom of the hill.  

8AE3723F-3224-4CC9-964F-B0748B5F52E9.thumb.jpeg.77c71971d009d5080a95ccb9a207d4c3.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Wow! 1

13 minutes ago, mattys281 said:

this was from the October coues hunt this year.  Just under 700 yards away across a canyon.  There was a couple coues does feeding a few hundred yards below it at the bottom of the hill.  

8AE3723F-3224-4CC9-964F-B0748B5F52E9.thumb.jpeg.77c71971d009d5080a95ccb9a207d4c3.jpeg

Damnnnnnnn! They definitely like that rocky terrain. You'd think the deer would know better. Nice spot.

Very difficult to stalk an animal that stalks other animals for a living. They are pros. Humans are armatures  

• Like 4