Sneaker

Mule Deer 20/21 Rut Report

23 hours ago, high rise hunter said:

I put 4 stalks on this buck Friday but each time busted by one of his 11 does. Caught up with him again Saturday morning and made what I thought was a very marginal shot. Playing safe, I spent the rest of the day glassing, trying to find him with the optics to no avail. The following morning dropped into where he took off after the shot and found him within 200 yards. The arrow, although farther back then I would have preferred, did catch vitals so I'm sure he was done within a couple of minutes.

Don't mind the long hair. It's Covid season and I'm living my best Tom Hanks from Cast Away.

IMG_3460.thumb.jpeg.d8895e13d2614cc8736b4d3bb07d44d7.jpeg

Bad butt man! Great buck and congrats again. 

• Like 1

Great buck with your bow.Always better to wait.Good job.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Riesop said:

Man that looks like it has a lot of Whitetail in it? Antlers for sure look a lot like whitetail.

27 minutes ago, forepaw said:

My thinking also.  Coues hybrid.  Maybe not first generation?  Very nice buck.

A short relationship but I had dubbed him "Whitetail" as his antler configuration looked much more like something from a Texas buck than an AZ muley. I don't think he could have any whitetail blood in him as I was up towards Kingman, which (I believe) is too far north and west of coues deer distribution but I could be wrong. 

One other kinda neat thing with this buck was he had "fangs" that looked like small, sharp canine teeth on his upper jaw. I've never seen this before on any deer.

• Like 3

Going to keep this going...seeing some lip curling and a few noses sniffing behind some does this weekend but still multiple bucks in herds. Hopefully the full moon this week gets things rolling in my area.