Sneaker

Mule Deer 20/21 Rut Report

I saw a little 6 pt pushing a doe around pretty hard this morning out in 20a. There’s some action goin on out there

6 hours ago, trphyhntr said:

i saw 3 mature bucks yesterday. blew one stalk, passed on an 88 yard neck shot on another, missed the 3rd from about 105.

Neck shot will work.

51 minutes ago, wish2hunt said:

Neck shot will work.

Lost the best buck of my life with a 40 y neck shoot years ago. Hit right where I was aiming 

also seen a few mule bucks chasing in central Arizona but been too busy stacking up javelina to deal with deer just yet 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, NoBull350 said:

3c neighborhood buck rutting hard . I put fresh apples and buck jam out . Don’t want to let the 2020 tag to go to waste ! 

C492EB6A-2830-4154-BCF1-059AF8BD0BB2.jpeg

0DA9AE8C-60CB-446B-8F20-DCFB5998914B.jpeg

Surprised your brother hasn't shot it already and took pictures under power lines,  and claimed it was in a "open" unit.😉

• Like 2

I should start a thread for lessons learned and dumb mistakes. Last week I noted that I saw some rut action, got a stalk in, got busted and chased a large buck and does right across the road on a non-hunt hunt and private land. Well this morning I'm sitting a blind in a cool 28 degree creek bed for almost 3 hours and nothing. On the way out of the area I pull over to take a piss before hitting the road, I decide to walk down a hiking trail a few yards afterwards. A really big body six point comes barreling out of a large wash 20-30 yards in front of me and freezes. I went back and grabbed my bow, but he was long gone by then.

The point of my story is the buck was alone in southern 6a and the lesson was don't ever make a move without your bow or rifle while hunting. Fawking good times... 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, az_runner said:

I should start a thread for lessons learned and dumb mistakes. Last week I noted that I saw some rut action, got a stalk in, got busted and chased a large buck and does right across the road on a non-hunt hunt and private land. Well this morning I'm sitting a blind in a cool 28 degree creek bed for almost 3 hours and nothing. On the way out of the area I pull over to take a piss before hitting the road, I decide to walk down a hiking trail a few yards afterwards. A really big body six point comes barreling out of a large wash 20-30 yards in front of me and freezes. I went back and grabbed my bow, but he was long gone by then.

The point of my story is the buck was alone in southern 6a and the lesson was don't ever make a move without your bow or rifle while hunting. Fawking good times... 

Dang Murphy got ya....

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Huntnfish said:

Surprised your brother hasn't shot it already and took pictures under power lines,  and claimed it was in a "open" unit.😉

He will be off probation this year, next year could be another story ! 

Central Az unit had 0 rut going on today.  Saw 8 bucks total, none of them were with the does.  Saw maybe 30 does within a couple of miles of all the bucks.  Crazy since last week about 40 miles as the crow flies, the rut was going strong.  

On 1/2/2021 at 5:10 PM, az_runner said:

6 point?

• Like 1

Seen a decent buck with 7 does this morning in 44B. First group I’ve seen with a buck. He had the strut going but the does weren’t hot enough to keep him around very long. He did a quick sniff on them and then left them. It’s going to be picking up soon I think. 

These are 3 of the does that were with him. She walked in from about 90 yards out and go within 60. Love this time of year. 

I saw a spike with a swollen neck yesterday. And a mature 3 PT running with 12 does.

Was in 21 this weekend. AZ OTC never ceases to humble me. Only saw 1 group of mule deer with (1) 4x4, (1) spike, and like (8) does. Definitely got the rutting vibe as the 4x4 was pushing does. Not very much though. Almost sealed the deal, but the 4x4 pushed the spike of off a doe and it ran 10ft to my left and stopped then busted me. One of these days I'm not gonna get busted at the end. 

• Like 1