Sneaker

Mule Deer 20/21 Rut Report

3 hours ago, Yuma Outdoorsman said:

Like a 6x6? 

Nah. If he was that big i would have thrown my release or boot at them in attempt to stun him while I jump on his back and perform a sleeper grip.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Yuma Outdoorsman said:

Sounds like peak rut in the high country.

I though we were trying to discourage people from coming to Arizona for otc deer hunts?

1 hour ago, oz31p said:

I though we were trying to discourage people from coming to Arizona for otc deer hunts?

It’s on YouTube, anybody can see it...I figured I would share it on here to help some of the Az guys out. I assumed most people on this site are from AZ. Maybe not? 

4 minutes ago, UggRedBilly said:

I will be looking at 37B pretty soon! I found a few water holes and my and a friend paid for a blind! I'll report in about a week of everything! Plus pictures and video!

He wut m8

• Like 1

Man, I hate when youtube puts this stuff up, it's already swamped with nonresidents out there.  Just wait, I bet in the next year there are a lot of changes to the over the counter tags which will affect residents and non residents.  Can't just keep selling tags to thousands upon thousands of people.  The mule deer population is already hurting.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Yuma Outdoorsman said:

It’s on YouTube, anybody can see it...I figured I would share it on here to help some of the Az guys out. I assumed most people on this site are from AZ. Maybe not? 

Oh ok. Because from the outside looking in it looks like an advertisement for a guild service/“scouting service “ catering to out of state otc hunter. 

Anybody hunting? Got on 3 groups of does Friday but none had bucks. Did see one buck solo but he saw me before I saw him so that ended quickly. 

5F9B5F44-01A9-4D88-AAED-FD9A44DDA4A1.jpeg

One lone wide but not tall 4x at 3/4 mile cruising desert last weekend. I watched him for an hour-no other deer in sight.

Newer adult onset hunter, so I put a move on him even though he bedded in a bunch of trees and I couldn’t pinpoint him-mainly to see if I could get from glassing point to a spot that far solo. Pretty sure I heard him bust out about 60-80yds from him without ever seeing him. Found his bed though...good experience, I’ll be back out tomorrow through Monday!

sorry for crappy pic, had wrong case for phoneskope (another lesson learned).

F306DE17-15A3-4A10-A1D6-F131C22EC650.jpeg

• Like 3

Last Saturday, rut occuring for certain, with some big ones, and some small ones. 

Crawled into some thicker stuff, got 30 yards away, looking at an eyeball, an ear, a leg.  Eventually the buck tried to determine what I was as I made a mistake and thought I had to get off my hands and knees to navigate a little one foot drop off. Wrong move. That one second "hunched over" move probably blew it. Bow hunting...one second of poor decisions, and that is that.

Using a stickbow, so the windows of opportunities beyond 25 yards were not good for me. Dry out here.

I was in 37B the last 3 days! It was awesome! 3 does at a tank. Then the next day I had a buck that was spooked by something, run from behind me in my blind. I had about a 30 yard running shot if I wanted to take it, but I wasnt confident i would make the shot so I passed! We stopped at about 80 yards away and was huffing and snorting in all directions for a few minutes then walked away. A few hours later in the afternoon I walked back to where he had stopped and saw scratching marks in the ground and he had peed on a few piles of poop too. 

This morning I go back there and to my suprise my water hole had turned into a mud bog for some people during the night. Looks like a few got stuck too!

1 minute ago, UggRedBilly said:

This morning I go back there and to my suprise my water hole had turned into a mud bog for some people during the night. Looks like a few got stuck too!

And azgfd is worried about cams disturbing animals around water....sad.

• Like 3