broadhead

Tagged Out, First Coues Deer

Well my first rifle Coues hunt was a success. Took this guy this afternoon trying to sneak along the edge of some thick cover and that was that. Barely 100 yard shot. This was definitely a change of pace from my normal long range glassing and expecting a longer shot. I found a really nice area with a ton of fresh sign and plenty of deer so I ditched the conventional thinking and hunkered down on a small ridge that overlooked the edge of thick oaks a couple hundred yards long. I had seen deer coming in and out, one huge buck, a few small ones, and a few decent ones. But none of the bucks were out in the open, not surprisingly. I either glassed them up in their beds behind cover or sneaking through it. But this afternoon I forced myself to stop glassing across the field and focus on that tucked away little corner. I knew that the bucks were either crossing that area or skirting it, or they would be by next weekend as the rut kicks in. Sure enough, I watched about nine does trickle through a break in the cattle fence at the end of the corner. I glanced back to my right and saw antlers shining in the sun only 100 yards away. He was either facing straight at me or straight away so I glassed him real quick to confirm he was a whitetail and to see if I would be happy with him. My gut said to send it so I swung the rifle and shooting sticks towards him. He was mostly quartered away with his head straight away with his attention on something in the brush. I set the scope behind his front shoulder and pulled the trigger. Unfortunately he started to turn away the instant the trigger broke so the bullet went in where I wanted but came out the base of his throat. He bucked straight up and fell over dead but the cape was a lost cause. No big deal. Time to relax and be grateful.

Good luck everyone. I hope you have or had success this season!

image1 (2).jpeg

image0.jpeg

• Like 18
  • Great Buck! 5

Thanks guys. It was a very enjoyable hunt after I decided not to put the pressure on myself of holding out for a giant and giant only. I watched a lot of deer doing their thing undisturbed and took a buck I was content with. Just enjoyable. 

Nice buck for your first coues,he will eat real good.