Mog

Best rifle scope regardless of price

2 hours ago, SunDevil said:

what about NightForce?

I don’t think there’s a tougher scope out there

My question is geared towards a long range hunting situation, most likely a 300 win mag or similar type round. I haven't even heard of some of the glass that Lance mentioned, I guess I'm more asking sub $3k. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Mog said:

My question is geared towards a long range hunting situation, most likely a 300 win mag or similar type round. I haven't even heard of some of the glass that Lance mentioned, I guess I'm more asking sub $3k. 

My Long range 300wm has a night force nsx.

59 minutes ago, Mog said:

Used Schmidt & Bender. 

Out of my 4 S&Bs, I bought 1 new, and 3 used.  Sold one for the same price I paid 3 years earlier.  Under $3k is very realistic.  

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, lancetkenyon said:

Used Schmidt & Bender. 

Out of my 4 S&Bs, I bought 1 new, and 3 used.  Sold one for the same price I paid 3 years earlier.  Under $3k is very realistic.  

I’ve always been impressed at how high end optics hold their value.  The highest cost of ownership of any optic ive ever owned was a pair of Vortex binos I bought for $450 and had to throw away because they were such garbage.  I’ve got tens of thousands of dollars of other high end optics and I could sell any one of them right now and lose less then that on them.  I hear people talk about how they can’t afford high end optics and I’d argue that I can’t afford to run cheap optics.  

• Like 5

For the money Nightforce is impossible to beat.  They are extremely tough and accurate scopes.  

• Like 1

Sub $3k new:

Kahles

Steiner M series

Nightforce ATACR line

Minox ZP line

US Optics

March (lightweight and huge mag range, but can be finicky when not set perfectly)

For a SFP, Swarovski is tops.  Leica are pretty nice too.  

• Like 1

I can attest to how great the glass is on the ZP5. Vastly better than my NXS but it does have a bit larger objective.  I have most of the other major hunting brands as well.  I would really like to peek through the Kahles given the rave reviews. 

I bought a very nice used S &B on Lances recommendation and my brother bought a new Kahles .  both are awesome. Go new and I would get Kahles for sure umder 3k

• Like 2

On 12/18/2020 at 10:20 AM, Big Browns said:

For the money Nightforce is impossible to beat.  They are extremely tough and accurate scopes.  

I like my ATACR.   it's been robust, easy to get on, find a target and engage quickly.   I know it's not the best per se...curious to some day get to look through the super premium stuff.

On 12/16/2020 at 8:12 PM, rcdinaz said:

I think there are more variables for a rifle scope. Turrets, weight, glass, relief, durability, and other subjective choices. The very upper end of the price spectrum would have Tangent Hensoldt, ZCO and a few others. My eyeball has never looked through any of these.  

I just bought a ZCO amazing pricey but worth it. Liked it so much i bought two of them. Just sent in a leupold and a nightforce that has issues cost my daughter a big bull last year 

• Like 1