Speedy

Rid-A-Rat Pack Rat solution?

Did some research on these critters and like everything online there's conflicting info.  In the past I've been in rental cars and the chewing noises drove me nuts, but never had any damage.  This year I'll be driving my new truck out.  I'm bringing rat traps, but are there any real solutions other than keeping the hood open (which hadn't worked before)? Lights under the engine bay?  How about the Rid-A-Rat blinking light thing?  http://www.rid-a-rat.com/index.html 

We use Rat Zappers. Takes care of mice, ground squirrels, pack rats, had a big spider in one, and a couple of birds. Just put some peanut butter in the back. They don't last that long however outside.  Amazon sells them and I've seen them at Ace Hardware.

Screenshot_20201221-093414~2.png

34 minutes ago, 10Turkeys said:

We use Rat Zappers. Takes care of mice, ground squirrels, pack rats, had a big spider in one, and a couple of birds. Just put some peanut butter in the back. They don't last that long however outside.  Amazon sells them and I've seen them at Ace Hardware.

Screenshot_20201221-093414~2.png

I imagine that would be pretty entertaining to watch in action.

21 minutes ago, CatfishKev said:

I imagine that would be pretty entertaining to watch in action.

Never seen it actually work, just the aftermath. With the ground squirrels their arms are all folded up and their tails are all splayed out. Got a couple pack rats out of the pool skimmer basket.

they make LED lights you hook to battery that flash intermittantly, doesn't run battery down and keeps them out of engine compartment, I know a few guys that have done this so check at a parts store

I really like the Rid-A Rat. It was recommended to me and I've been running one in each of my toyotas. There are a lot of products like it, but from what I read at the time (2 years ago), the AA battery drain is really low on the Rid-A-Rat compared to the other blinking LEDs. I've had both mine running for over 2 years. still blinks nicely, and even bouncing around the roads in the 36s the magnet has held firm. I recommend it, especially since it doesn't use the car battery.

FWIW I also puff construction chalk on the surfaces under the hood and would always have little paw prints. I don't see those anymore. I also have a few little pockets of poison tucked above the wheel well, that don't appear to be depleted.

4 minutes ago, NewlyMinted said:

I really like the Rid-A Rat. It was recommended to me and I've been running one in each of my toyotas. There are a lot of products like it, but from what I read at the time (2 years ago), the AA battery drain is really low on the Rid-A-Rat compared to the other blinking LEDs. I've had both mine running for over 2 years. still blinks nicely, and even bouncing around the roads in the 36s the magnet has held firm. I recommend it, especially since it doesn't use the car battery.

FWIW I also puff construction chalk on the surfaces under the hood and would always have little paw prints. I don't see those anymore. I also have a few little pockets of poison tucked above the wheel well, that don't appear to be depleted.

Thanks, that's the recommendation I've been looking for!  Of all the things I've read the Rid-A-Rat seems to be the way to go. Although there are some who swear it doesn't work, as well as moth balls, lights, etc.  If not there are the rat traps but I have to think I'll be up all night with those going off! 

My sister had at least one in her F150 and she needed more.  We string christmas lights around our vehicles and through the engine.  works well but a pain.

9 hours ago, 360 0r Better said:

Cheap nylon panty hose the knee high ones filled with mothballs place them in several spots under the hood. It works pretty good.

Do you have to get those panty hose from cheap women?

Ever have rabbits infest your car? 
I did! My lab alerted me to them. Newer cars have that sheet of fuzzy plastic for fuel economy (cuts down undercarriage turbulence,    I presume) and some momma rabbit taught her off spring to escape my dog by hopping up there. One was relocated to PHX at my Dads house when after the 35 minute trek my lab jumps out and acts like a drug dog and starts pulling the inner wheel well plastic out of the car to get at Peter cottontail. I crawled under and started banging on stuff and out jumps a bunny and the race was on! The below pic was a different bunny a week later in the same car.

C717B54E-5503-4DA4-93BD-EBF7FEBAABB3.png

• Wow! 1