Sign in to follow this  
Red Rabbit

2021 Elk Regs are online

I'm sitting on 20 elk and 17 pronghorn points but am no longer able to hunt. So now I have to decide whether I still want to continue buying BPs or just quit altogether, thus losing the loyalty point for each.

2 minutes ago, Outdoor Writer said:

I'm sitting on 20 elk and 17 pronghorn points but am no longer able to hunt. So now I have to decide whether I still want to continue buying BPs or just quit altogether, thus losing the loyalty point for each.

I'll bet someone would pay to put in with you.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, 5guyshunting said:

I'll bet someone would pay to put in with you.

Someone certainly would. If you go that route let me know.

23 minutes ago, Outdoor Writer said:

Consider drawing the permit(s) then donating said permits to a worthwhile organization.  Pointguard will allow you to donate twice if your financial condition will allow.

• Like 2

Just now, Outdoor Writer said:

Still plenty of time for me to mull it over before the deadline. Maybe I'll just open up the bidding. 🤣

Lots of folks with a lot deeper pockets than me on here but I would love to see an online auction and what these points would go for.  I have a friend with 25 antelope points and he was considering doing the same thing.  Donate the tag the first time around, get points back and then auction it again next year.  Spend, save or donate $ to a charity.  You bought and paid for them and you should be able to do whatever you want with them.   Good luck on whatever you decide.

1 hour ago, Swivelhead said:

Consider drawing the permit(s) then donating said permits to a worthwhile organization.  Pointguard will allow you to donate twice if your financial condition will allow.

I thought it was just once until you have used up your points?

from p11 of fall regs:  "Hunters are only eligible to surrender one tag per species then the next time drawn for that species, the tag will have to be used (expends bonus points). Once you have expended your bonus points, you will then be eligible to participate in Tag Surrender again for that species.

Also, you average the bonus points so if the other person is a noob, you cut that significant number of points in half.

19 minutes ago, Big Tub said:

I thought it was just once until you have used up your points?

from p11 of fall regs:  "Hunters are only eligible to surrender one tag per species then the next time drawn for that species, the tag will have to be used (expends bonus points). Once you have expended your bonus points, you will then be eligible to participate in Tag Surrender again for that species.

Also, you average the bonus points so if the other person is a noob, you cut that significant number of points in half.

To clarify; You can use the BPs twice and or turn over the tag twice. BUT...you get your BPS back only on the first go-round and lose the cost of the tags on both.. IOW, you don't have to necessarily HUNT the 2nd time and can still give it to a charity org; you pay and no BPS again. 

The averaging deal is correct. If someone has 10 and use my 20 for elk, we would have 15 which would likely qualify for the bonus pass in a bunch of hunts.  

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, knothead said:

Lots of folks with a lot deeper pockets than me on here but I would love to see an online auction and what these points would go for.  I have a friend with 25 antelope points and he was considering doing the same thing.  Donate the tag the first time around, get points back and then auction it again next year.  Spend, save or donate $ to a charity.  You bought and paid for them and you should be able to do whatever you want with them.   Good luck on whatever you decide.

I agree. It would be nice to get some of the money back. Just in draw fees, my points cost $250, plus I had added PG when it became available. 

I think you could easily start the bidding at $1000.  Even a guy with 2 points would jump to 11 after you add your 20 and then round.  I think a lot of people would gladly pay $1000 (plus both tag fees) to hunt elk in AZ.   Donate the tag and then you can deduct that from your taxes as well.  

3 minutes ago, knothead said:

I think you could easily start the bidding at $1000.  Even a guy with 2 points would jump to 11 after you add your 20 and then round.  I think a lot of people would gladly pay $1000 (plus both tag fees) to hunt elk in AZ.   Donate the tag and then you can deduct that from your taxes as well.  

Turn the tag in with point guard and do it again in 2022. The tag can be donated in 22.

Just now, knothead said:

I already had one offer, but I'll be contemplating for a while. Obviously, I would go with the best offer, however. 😉