Sign in to follow this  
PRDATR

Thoughts on battery operated chainsaws.

Our company uses the milwaukee's exclusively.  I have a buddy that has a Dewalt for personal use and he says it has good power.  I am sure that the Dewalt is as good or better than the milwaukee.  

I own the MSA 200 with a 14" bar, rarely use my 20" gas unit anymore. lightweight and no tools required to tighten the bar.

Issue with it is the 1/4" chain is if you don't sharpen them yourselves you only get 1 maybe 2 sharpenings

I have the 60v DeWalt and also have a 18v Milwaukee. Both are good tools if you don't use them heavy. If your going to use it all day I would get a stihl, but for getting camp wood you can't beat the battery tools.

I've always been a DeWalt man and have alot of DeWalt tools including lawn mower, weed eater, blower and so on. That being said milwaukee is leaving DeWalt tools in the dust when it comes to the latest and greatest. Constantly improving and adding new stuff to their line up. I still would get a 20v DeWalt chain saw only because I've got so many batteries and other DeWalt gear but if I was starting fresh I probably would lean towards milwaukee. Either way both put out a quality saw for what you're looking for.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AZLance said:

https://m.stihlusa.com/products/chain-saws/battery-saws/

seeing as how you know everything  not sure how this slipped by you...

MY Father in law bought a battery operated STIHL. I thought it would be a huge waste of money but he is extremely happy with it. He uses it quite frequently on the ranch for cutting Juniper posts and stays cleanup etc. and the performance and battery life are really impressive. The Huskys have been sitting since he got the STIHL. Light, maneuverable, it definitely has it's place out there.

I’ve got all dewalt stuff and have the 12” 20v chainsaw.  It would be a handy little truck saw.  I like that I can keep a few batteries in the truck (one in my sawzall, impact and the small air compressor they make, all stay in my truck so I have plenty of battery power).  I also have the 60v 16” saw.  It’s got the power and speed to cut wood all day, not sure if it would hold up to it or not as I haven’t tried it.  I love battery tools, I won’t own another gas saw.  Actually just bought a new ice auger that uses my 1/2” dewalt drill.  Can drill 100 holes a day easy on a 5 amp battery.  No more mixing gas and having those little cans spill all over everything.  

• Like 1

Do those electric jobbers still take bar oil? I don’t see why they would not unless they used some epa approved powered graphite.

I finally tossed my McCullough as it leaked engine oil, gas, and bar oil and I didn’t feel like taking it apart and making new gaskets out of sheet material. That saw had 4 owners that I know of. One had his ssn carved in the side.

I need to find something new to carry in my truck bed that can fell a tree and prevent rust all in one. My friend asked me once if my truck leaked oil (I was parked in his driveway) I responded no....he asked well what’s that then, pointing to a spot on his concrete, He was not amused when I let him know that was Not my truck but my chainsaw.

You all have me pondering the possibilities.

4 minutes ago, HorseHunter said:

Do those electric jobbers still take bar oil? I don’t see why they would not unless they used some epa approved powered graphite.

I finally tossed my McCullough as it leaked engine oil, gas, and bar oil and I didn’t feel like taking it apart and making new gaskets out of sheet material. That saw had 4 owners that I know of. One had his ssn carved in the side.

I need to find something new to carry in my truck bed that can fell a tree and prevent rust all in one. My friend asked me once if my truck leaked oil (I was parked in his driveway) I responded no....he asked well what’s that then, pointing to a spot on his concrete, He was not amused when I let him know that was Not my truck but my chainsaw.

You all have me pondering the possibilities.

Yes they still use bar oil just like a gas powered saw.  

• Like 1

I bought an electric chain saw a long time ago, Milwaukee, when they were made in USA.  It is great.  Quite heavy.  If I had bought a battery operated, it would have died a long time ago.  All my battery operated tools have pretty much died and the replacement batteries are so expensive. I have a generator I lug around on my quad but it does limit the saw usage.   

1 hour ago, Big Tub said:

I bought an electric chain saw a long time ago, Milwaukee, when they were made in USA.  It is great.  Quite heavy.  If I had bought a battery operated, it would have died a long time ago.  All my battery operated tools have pretty much died and the replacement batteries are so expensive. I have a generator I lug around on my quad but it does limit the saw usage.   

I had an 18" gas-powered McCulloch that I had acquired in the 1970s to cut firewood in Colo. It went belly up sometime in the 1990s. I didn't replace it until the big orange tree in my backyard died. Knowing I wouldn't have much other use for it, I bought a cheap electric one at Harbor Frieght. It worked great, and I used it to trim larger branches on my two Chinese elms until as recently  a year ago.

RE: batteries

I chuckled when I read what you said. Over the years, I've bought many Harbor Freight 18V portable drills when they were on sale, generally for less than $20. The drills themselves never wore out, but the batteries did. The replacements, if not completely discontinued, cost just as much or more than a complete new drill, however. So I just toss the old one(s) and buy new one(s). The last two I bought came with drill, LED flashlight, charger and battery for $16.95 each.  

1 hour ago, Big Tub said:

Have you checked with Batteries Plus on having them rebuild them for you?

I have seen some large trees down across the road/trail after storms.  Would a battery saw cut, limb and buck tree with bowls in the 10 to 15 imch size? As well as making a vehicle size cleanout.

Nice thing about gas saws, the fuel can be used for starting camp fires.