Sign in to follow this  
archeryaz

2020 youth hunt

Well the youngest drew another youth tag this year. I was able to go out the day before the hunt and check the areas from last year, with no deer being found. 5 miles of boot leather and 120 mile on the tire tread, and I could not find a single deer.  Our close family friend Luke was able to go out with us on opening day. 

We were able to find three does first thing in the morning, and not another deer was seen until 5:30 that afternoon. Luke came through once again, when he was able to glass a single deer. We were able to confirm not only was it a buck, but he was definitely a shooter. 

We were able to hike into the area, and get Gavin set up. Luke ranged the buck, and I dialed the scope. Gavin made a great shot, and his tag was filled. I’m starting to think he has a thing for 3x4’s as this is second one in two years. This is his best buck to date. Great day in the woods, with a great kid and, a great friend!

9536FA3D-9EA3-484F-B759-736AD50897A5.jpeg

0348D67B-1870-479F-938C-17A7F60DDEB8.jpeg

ED636D8C-906F-4AC2-9CC1-FF78FF576BFF.jpeg

• Like 9
  • Great Buck! 1

Man all that effort to find not that many deer must be tough.  Is that more or less normal form the areas you were checking, or just an off year due to the drought?

Way to stick with it though and especially on finding a stud of a buck. His smile says it all. Congrats!

It was a tough year for sure. We have seen several deer in the area we hunted in years past. A lot less deer for sure.

• Like 1