Sign in to follow this  
deercrazy

Are The Gun Stores Really Empty?

On 12/24/2020 at 2:14 PM, deercrazy said:

I have been scrimping and saving for a quality rifle with a wood stock that has looks, sole, and shoots great.  I decided on 3 different models by 3 different companies, and I am ready to purchase.  What I have found is that the stores are empty, online is out of stock, and if you do find a rifle, there is no ammo to go try it out.  Is covid19 really got all these great American companies on their knees, not employing thousands of workers, and can they bounce back.  I am trying not to just settle for a plastic stock, low end,, "better in rainy conditions" rifles.  heck, I already own a couple of those.  I just want a rifle like grandpa had.  

The bad thing is that all that scrimping and saving, and no rifle to purchase will end up in my kids needing a new battery for their car, or tires, or the wife needing new shoes.  I am tired of Covid and not having any fun.  Back to work on Monday morning.

Hit up Cabelas gun library they had quite a few quality guns in there when my daughter drug me in there sat. quite a few high end new ones as well in the library.

of coarse it depends on what your looking for.

I noticed the pistol shelves front cases main store were empty, but the side counter close to the gun library had a shoot pot of glocks in it.

The machinest that work for most gun/ componets companies are running normal to overtime hours according to there posts on machine shop forums. I am sure there is ecptions like NY CA, and a few other states. The little shops that build gun parts for the big companies are swamped with orders from there bigger customers.

I think it would really surprise most people how many machine shops actually make firearms parts of all kinds. most of those parts dont need an FFL

1 minute ago, My Rights As An American said:

Understand, thanks. 

I'm pretty sure its illegal on the fed level for ammo, there was something about it when Obama was in office and we had that big gun/ammo shortage. but they dont bust guys on craiglist or fgbk for making profit on things with out a licence and havent for 10+ years so I doubt they will do anything.

So I have maybe $1000 to spend on a rifle.  I am really wanting a Winchester Model 70 Featherlight Compact, or a Remington Model 7, or even a Weatherby Camilla (even if it is suppose to be a girls rifle).  Those are the models that I would be very happy with, and money saved could be use for a good scope.  I want a rifle with taste, sole, and good looks that shoots where I aim.  All these models seem to be out of stock in all stores.  Like I said, my kids can smell that I have money, and their cars are ready to crap out at anytime to loosen me from my cash. or Like the other day, my over the range microwave quite,  the wife told me the tv stopped working this afternoon.  Blah, Blah, Blah.  I would LOVE a pre64 rifle, but not at 2K.  Just bitching, and probably will settle for no new rifle, or a Ruger American in gutless plastic stock.

Healy’s had some really sweet Bergaras in-stock. Maybe some CZ’s as well. Good luck finding a Remington or Winchester since they both are out of production.

That Camilla, a Tikka, or a CZ would be what I would try and track down. 

I shot a Tikka CTR awhile back, and that thing drive tacks. 

4 hours ago, deercrazy said:

So I have maybe $1000 to spend on a rifle.  I am really wanting a Winchester Model 70 Featherlight Compact, or a Remington Model 7, or even a Weatherby Camilla (even if it is suppose to be a girls rifle).  Those are the models that I would be very happy with, and money saved could be use for a good scope.  I want a rifle with taste, sole, and good looks that shoots where I aim.  All these models seem to be out of stock in all stores.  Like I said, my kids can smell that I have money, and their cars are ready to crap out at anytime to loosen me from my cash. or Like the other day, my over the range microwave quite,  the wife told me the tv stopped working this afternoon.  Blah, Blah, Blah.  I would LOVE a pre64 rifle, but not at 2K.  Just bitching, and probably will settle for no new rifle, or a Ruger American in gutless plastic stock.

https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/used-guns?usedGun=true

https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/100603770

https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/100586718

Ruger #1,

there are plenty of guns in there library with wood stocks, with decent price ranges too.

5 hours ago, Flatlander said:

Good luck finding a Remington or Winchester since they both are out of production.

As far as I know Browning is still making Winchester rifles. The parts are made here but they are assembled in Portugal.

5 hours ago, 10Turkeys said:

As far as I know Browning is still making Winchester rifles. The parts are made here but they are assembled in Portugal.

From Winchester:

Made in Belgium, Assembled in Portugal

Super X3 (SX3)

Model 101 Over & Under

Portugal

Super X4 (SX4)

XPR Bolt Action Rifle

Model 70 Bolt Action Rifle

Turkey

Super X Pump (SXP)

Wildcat Rimfire Autoloader

Japan

Model 1885 Single Shot Rifle

Model 1866 Lever Action Rifle

Model 1873 Lever Action Rifle

Model 1886 Lever Action Rifle

Model 1892 Lever Action Rifle

Model 1894 Lever Action Rifle

Model 1895 Lever Action Rifle

Model 71 Lever Action Rifle

Various facilitiesBases, rings, choke tubes, etc. 

Listed on packaging

19 minutes ago, 10Turkeys said:

Well the one that I have now says Model 70 Featherweight, Made in USA, BACO Inc,  Morgan, Utah

It was likely made in SC.

From Winchester :

It is no secret that Winchester Repeating Arms is part of the greater Herstal Group, with factories all around the world. The best factories are used for each model. Some assembly and some production of Model 70s in recent years was in the Herstal Group's South Carolina plant. Since then production has been shifted to our Viana, Portugal plant as indicated on the barrel inscription on current rifles.  Earlier USA-made guns are marked as such. Production was at the New Haven, Connecticut factory until approximately 2006 when that factory closed. The origin of each Model 70 is marked on the barrel. Generally today, key parts are likely sourced in various places worldwide and the rifle assembled in Portugal. This place of manufacture and assembly will be indicated on the barrel. Some hunters and shooters have reasons for purchasing only Made In USA firearms. We understand. But it would be incorrect to base your decision to not buy a Model 70 (or XPR) from our Portugal plant due to a fear of poor performance. Model 70s made and/or assembled in Portugal have stellar quality, accuracy and overall performance that matches or exceeds any production Model 70s ever in our history.

From Wikipedia:

The Model 70 was originally manufactured by the Winchester Repeating Arms Company between 1936 and 1980. From the early 1980s until 2006, Winchester rifles were manufactured by U.S. Repeating Arms under an agreement with Olin Corporation, allowing USRA to use the Winchester name and logo.[3] Model 70s were built in New Haven, Connecticut, from 1936 to 2006, when production ceased. In the fall of 2007, the Belgian company FN Herstal announced that Model 70 production would resume. As of 2012, new Winchester Model 70 rifles were being made by FN Herstal in Columbia, South Carolina. In 2013, assembly was moved to Portugal.

22 minutes ago, Outdoor Writer said:

It was likely made S.C.

That is probably so. When Browning started making Model 70's again, I think The American Riflemen had an article on them. If I remember that is where the plant was in SC, and the Wikipedia article said as much. The one in the above pic was bought used without a box, but I bought a 70 Spotter that I'm almost certain said made in USA, assembled in Portugal. It was like most manufacturing here, once it was set up elsewhere it was gone.

27 minutes ago, 10Turkeys said:

That is probably so. When Browning started making Model 70's again, I think The American Riflemen had an article on them. If I remember that is where the plant was in SC, and the Wikipedia article said as much. The one in the above pic was bought used without a box, but I bought a 70 Spotter that I'm almost certain said made in USA, assembled in Portugal. It was like most manufacturing here, once it was set up elsewhere it was gone.

As an aside, I don't believe Browning ever actually made parts for them or entire long guns in Utah. The Morgan facility, which I've visited, is mostly the headquaters operation (i.e, offices), but they do some R&D there as well. I think they have some of the .22 handguns made by a contractor in SLC, tho. 

And another aside....If you ever get to Cody, WY, do not miss the Buffalo Bill Center of the West. The firearms collection on display is mind-boggling. There is both an extensive Browning & Winchester presence. 

3 hours ago, 5guyshunting said:

Should be less gun fire in the sky tonight, unless someone won the lottery😄

Since fire works became legal ;) lots less gun fire in our hood.

its been non stop mortars since it got dark.  our hood is light up big time.

Seriously since the state legalized the kiddy foreworks I noticed more and more every holiday that the illegal fireworks have been really going off. its been getting better the last 4 years this year 4th of july was awsum and extreamly loud, but today makes that look like a beginners class. a few of the neighbors literally have truck loads of mortars. would make the old glendale community college show look like amature hour.  I would rather have those that all the shooting a few years back. I havent heard 1 shot today at all. I went to get a hair cut this afternoon with our son in Da Hood and the guy next to me mentioned that even on glendale ave they have less gun fire since the bigger firecrackers and mortars started comeing over the last few years.