Sign in to follow this  
Delw

25-06 action what to build

I did the 6.5-270AI.  Same as the 6.5-06AI just with the 270 brass.  Longer necks.  After I shot up the barrel I switched to .280AI.  I loved the 6.5 going 3,080fps but im not an extreme lover of the reloading like Lance is.  Once you load then you need to fire form your brass.  Your just pushing more rounds down the tube.  I had Axis Work put on my new barrel for the .280AI that year I didn't have time to do a load.  So I got Lance to help me out.  Best part just go buy Nosler brass already formed for Akley Improved.  Less reloading.  My AI is pushing 160 TMKs 3,030fps shooting at .361 MOA.

• Like 2

You can also do a  6.5-280AI. Just run 280AI brass through a 280AI bushing die with the correct bushing, load and shoot. No fireforming and basically a 6.5-06 AI. Todd South built mine and has the reamer.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Zeke-BE said:

I did the 6.5-270AI.  Same as the 6.5-06AI just with the 270 brass.  Longer necks.  After I shot up the barrel I switched to .280AI.  I loved the 6.5 going 3,080fps but im not an extreme lover of the reloading like Lance is.  Once you load then you need to fire form your brass.  Your just pushing more rounds down the tube.  I had Axis Work put on my new barrel for the .280AI that year I didn't have time to do a load.  So I got Lance to help me out.  Best part just go buy Nosler brass already formed for Akley Improved.  Less reloading.  My AI is pushing 160 TMKs 3,030fps shooting at .361 MOA.

The 160 TMK (I have an excellent load for mine too) works wonders on game.  I saw the video of Brandon shooting his pronghorn last year, and the fur flew and that goat dropped like struck by lightning.

• Like 1

I just finished working up a load for my 280 AI, its 143 gr. Hammer Hunter, nosler brass, fed. 215 M,  and 58.3 grs. H4831 sc for 3020 fps, ES is 7 fps.  60.5 is max in my gun but I only gained 80 fps at max charge  and it shoots a ragged hole at 58.3 grs. so Im stopping right here.

You could build a fast twist 2506 AI to shoot the heavy all copper bullets but you will have to fire form your brass.

Peterson also makes quality brass for the 280 AI.  If you build a 280 AI you want the SAMMI reamer. most of the dies being made and ammo is based on the SAMMI specs.

Have fun!

fire forming brass is no problem done it long ago in my wildcat days.

popped the action off  this afternoon then stuck a bore scope in the chamber, throat front of rifleing was pitted pretty good, along with one small spot in the neck and around the taper below the neck to the main case. then it all looked good to about 3/4" inch into the Chamber. pitted and corrosion along with rust..

the rifling  and chamber and every metal part was coated with rigs grease when I put it away over 20 years ago do to a headspace issue/high pressure and gas escaping through the chamber.

forgot to add the marks(rough finish) on the shoulder of the barrel are part off tool marks as its super easy to take off a barrel(if its trashed) using a part off tool to relieve pressure on the shoulder to the action.

IMG_1816a.jpg

not for everybody certainly but i have been looking at-prob never to become a reality star-a .375/.284 or .358/.284 deep throated for capacity.  why?-we don't have grizzly in Arizona.......yet.....

besides-how far can you go with velocity after the .220 Swift and the .257WM ?

lee

Insanity runs in the family-it practically gallops 

3 hours ago, biglakejake said:

besides-how far can you go with velocity after the .220 Swift and the .257WM ?

22 cheeta, 223wssm 30/06 necked down to a 22 cal. Some gunsmith in did one in Flagstaff I heard it was and elk kill machine. close to 5000 fps from what I heard.

6.5-06AI or maybe 6.5 weatherby RPM if it fits that bolt face. 

I have a 280 AI and l love it.  I wanted a caliber that is a little bit unusual but not too crazy. It's become a lot more common in recent years.... not quite as unique anymore. It's built on a 700 action. I used a 3 weight, 1:9 Shilen barrel, cut it at 25.5" and put an 11* crown on it. It's built to SAMMI specs.  I only shoot 140 gr Nosler Accubonds in it.  63 gr of RL 22 gives me 3225 fps. Nosler brass is the way to go. I'll be interested to watch the progress on this one. 

BP

48 minutes ago, Hoss50 said:

6.5-06AI or maybe 6.5 weatherby RPM if it fits that bolt face. 

The RPM does have the same .473 case head but a fatter case. Its based on the 284 win. but its longer.

https://www.shootingtimes.com/editorial/weatherby-65-rpm-cartridge-review/374299

I'm going with the 280AI I pretty much decided that after Lances post as well as a few others. Although TrphyHntr had me second guessing my self for another 25-06

, I need a hobby so maybe I'll start building firearms again like I did back in the good old days ;)

• Like 2

Several companies are making prefit barrels for Howa actions with barrel nuts like a Savage. It might be worth a look. I bought mine from Oregon Mountain Rifles, but others do it too. 

I have also heard that getting the barrel off a howa action can take an act of God to get done sometimes. 

A timney drip in trigger makes the trigger way better too. 

12 hours ago, Hoss50 said:

Several companies are making prefit barrels for Howa actions with barrel nuts like a Savage. It might be worth a look. I bought mine from Oregon Mountain Rifles, but others do it too. 

I have also heard that getting the barrel off a howa action can take an act of God to get done sometimes. 

A timney drip in trigger makes the trigger way better too. 

I been looking at that barrel nut deal, I haven't found a good place that explains it yet, just pics of them.

Those howa barrels are a pain to take off. when I had hard barrels to remove years back I cheated and took a lathe cut off or groove tool and cut a groove leaving .010 stk were the barrel and action meet, then it just takes a tap wit a pcs of brass and screws right off. of course you cant reuse the barrel afterwords.