Sign in to follow this  
AzDiamondHeat

sxs radio info

Rugged radios all day.  Me and all my friends have. Great customer service. 

easy to install just get all the right mounting brackets. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Adicted said:

Rugged radios all day.  Me and all my friends have. Great customer service. 

easy to install just get all the right mounting brackets. 

+1

2 hours ago, bigorange said:

Any reason a basic CB wouldn’t work or are you looking for something more specific?

Ya I don't think a cb would work as well because the motor is pretty loud and the wind. I think he is looking more for the headset style with headphones and mics like pilots use. So you don't have to scream at each other in the same sxs.

But they work good in jeeps...

Rugged used to be the go to for good products and good service in our offroad community. 

on the topic of radios...

So in my truck we installed a Midland 115 model... and my brother bought a midland 40 watt for his jeep (yet to be installed)...

In my ram, i fabbed a bracket and added it under my aftermarket light switch bank.   its supposed to have a 50 mile (unobstructed) range. ihonestly havent played much with it.  Slightly disappointed with the progrsamming features (its difficult to toggle through the functions and make adjustments) when i first put it in the truck i would ride home from work... they are supposed to be able to sync up to the handheld radios (which is why we bought them) . the little bit ive used mine, there's a set of kids in the vicinity and the 3 mile coomute i could hear the kids playing with their handhelds the whole rifde home (in gilbert) so at least thats promising.  We did take a trip to sedona with my inlaws (3 vehicles total) . i gavce them two hand helds and figured "we got the truck mount" ... but one of the micro tuning adjustments was off. I could hear them on the hand helds, but they werent picking me up. Not sure if its easier to match the handhelds to the truck or vise versa. Havent had time to  play with them, and no one around to help,... so i was sitting int he truck trying to tie them togethor and gave up. ha ha. Probably someone with more technical skills or myself with more ambition could get it done. (comes complete with a small wire antenna, and on my deer hunt, was retty impressed  with the 'sticking" it had as i scraped the top of the cab with low branches)

Im guessing the 40 watt with my brother is the sdame deal.  My brother hasnt installed his yet. HE's reluctant on where to mount his  and stuff like that (he normally rides with the doors off for a good portion of the year and he doesnt want  "free stuff" laying out in the open for some scum bag.  the 40 watt is supposed to have a 65 mile (unobstructed) range.  His didnt come with an antenna, but he did find a "puck" tyoe antenna that has a pretty solid  magnet as well (also his hangup in mounting, because he doesnt know where to put the antenna for switching between hard, soft and no tops).

Had the chance to  test out the walker razor radios.  The walker razor is a noise cancelling headphone that in it self is pretty cool. There is a couple of draw backs,.  The headset itself is about $40 each. But for an additional $35 there's a two way radio that mounts to the headsets.   3 of us took them ut to try... The VOX feature didnt work (automatic talk). well it did, bt with road noise, it would lock the channel open. We turned this feature off and just used the PTT on the headset. At high road noise (doors off, 75 mph) i could have a normal conversation with sitting in the back seat and them in the front.  Typically on road trips or whatever, if the doors are off, there's no talking between the front and back seats without a lot of shouting.

Looking at the reveiws for the walker razor two ways,  there's lot s of complaints about the boom mic breaking... but it might be how people treat their equipment. its an electronic device... not a rock to be hammered on etc. We havent had the chance to test the range of the headsets at any great lenghts.  We went out the saturday after thanksgiving,  and the ambient temp wehn we started was about 30 ish... so that was a nice bonus of having toasy ears as we ran down the road.

Everything can be found on amazon.  

• Thanks 1

Can the  handheld frs/gmrs radios communicate with the rugged radio setups?

I bought the razors to try out and my kids like them but not sure we will be able to talk with grandma and grandpa in the other buggy.