Sign in to follow this  
Tony Nile

Tracking dog in Tucson area

12 minutes ago, muledeerarea33? said:

Funny how the member “neverquit” told the dude to give up after 200 yards.

I hear that members a prick....but, what’s the longest archery blood trail you’ve followed and found the animal?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, oz31p said:

I hear that members a prick....but, what’s the longest archery blood trail you’ve followed and found the animal?

Honestly I’ve only had to track one wounded archery kill. Blood for probably 2-300 yards. Found it a week later 1/2 mile away with birds circling.

1 hour ago, oz31p said:

.77 miles on onx close to a mile with twists and turns. Deer is hanging in the cooler. String jumping little bastards. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, oz31p said:

Solid 1/4 mile with the elk on a dead run.   It the ground hadn’t been soft would have lost the animal due to distance between blood.

I hit a buck in the 10 ring in august (little high/far back for a 12). got him through both lungs still. I saw the shot and figured he'd be dead in 50 yards when he bolted behind a little rise. That little sucker made it probably 300-350 yards. I found him but I could really see how someone with a little quit or less experience wouldn't have. Not much blood at all. I've killed a dozen or so animals with a bow and that is the only one that made it more than maybe a hundred yards. Amazing how much country they can cover in a few seconds. He took off like an absolute rocket when it hit him. I wouldn't be surprised if he was only on his feet for 20 seconds before he died. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, muledeerarea33? said:

Honestly I’ve only had to track one wounded archery kill. Blood for probably 2-300 yards. Found it a week later 1/2 mile away with birds circling.

after taking a more sober look at the thread. Never mentions whether this was a rifle shot or archery.