Sign in to follow this  
creekhiker

Stock modifications

Bought this Rem 722 in .257 bob along with a .222 a few years ago. The .222 is a shooter, full glass bed, but not fun to carry around.  

I'm assuming the guy never got around to finishing this rifle.  Is this stock prepped correctly?  Or do I just find a new/old stock?

IMG_20201228_143402750.jpg

IMG_20201228_143121970.jpg

IMG_20201228_143109321.jpg

I haven’t seen one like that.  You could look around for a different one, but you probably won’t find anything.  Hang on to it.  You could use it to experiment or practice refinishing and bedding.  You can mix up the bedding compound and tint it brown and do a nice repair.  All of the screw ups would be hidden.  Boyd’s might have a solid wood stock, but I think they take a little work to fit properly.  If you get one of those, practice on this one and if it turns out to be junk, you could chitcan it.

Looks like the buttstock was hollowed out and the barrel channel was hogged out to take some weight off the stock. I'm guessing by the pic that it wasn't done by a professional.

49 minutes ago, trphyhntr said:

Was the previous owner a beaver? 

He was from Oregon.   I don't get how there are no vise marks on the outside of the stock, thinking he used a hammer and chisel.

Looks like I'll be ordering a boyds stock.  McMillan offers one as well it appears.  

• Like 1

Have you shot the rifle in this stock? Taking another look at the pic, it looks as if it was chewed up around the area for the recoil lug. My guess that the action would bounce all over that stock when the gun was fired. If you would like to keep that stock, Google up gun stock refinishing and repair in AZ. It will take you to a Facebook page of Ron Chisler with his info. I've used him to refinish a stock for me and it was excellent work.

The only thing that gives me any concern is where the recoil lug goes into the stock.    You would need to bed that so it was a snug fit.    The butt of the stock isn't a big deal.   I've done that before to decrease the weight or to even add weight to make the balance of the rifle the way I want it.    It won't hurt the function of the stock.    The barrel channel should function fine too (if the barrel clears the stock).    If the "look" bothers you then you could fill it in.   I'm guessing he was trying to lighten up the rifle or was looking to add a material to stiffen the stock.  Either way I don't think it will hurt the function and I don't think you will be able to see the issue once the action and barrel are installed.   So, either fix the current stock (should be cheap and easy) or go by another stock of your liking.   

I've modified more than a few stocks to either add lead for weight or other materials to stiffen stocks.    Fairly standard once you go down the path of making "custom" guns.  

Here's what the other gun looks like.  I'm assuming he did it the same way.  The butt isn't hollowed out, but it's a super tight fit between recoil lug and stock.

Devcon the way to go for bedding material?

IMG_20201229_162250655.jpg

IMG_20201229_162224994.jpg

Acraglass.  You can get it from Brownells. It looks like he did a good job. I’ve seen those old pre 64 rifles that had a barrel that wasn’t free floated and they would bed the full length.

Another thing you might want to check on a wood stock is the little piece of wood between the trigger guard and the magazine. Alot of them are split and it's hard to tell unless you put a little bit of pressure pulling the sides of the stock apart. I've had a Winchester, a Remington, and 2 Rugers that were split. Nothing some epoxy won't take care of.

1230201214~2.jpg