Sign in to follow this  
Wnn135

Over the counter tags

3 hours ago, Flatlander said:

I would advocate a cap on the total number available for purchase, which could lead to problematic situations for a first come first serve buying scenario. Or requiring NR’s to apply for archery. But either way, my recommendation is that NR be required to choose between applying for a rifle hunt / building points and hunting the archery hunt.

So how many NR OTC deer tags are being sold now....in the 10s, 100s, 1000s....? 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, UggRedBilly said:

What if there was an antler minimum? Like no spikes killed? Maybe even forkies? Would that even help population at all?

No, there's been years and years of studies that prove that doesn't work. Plus a lot of deer get killed and left because its one point short or different than they thought. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Flatlander said:

Per the hunt guidelines if more than 20% of the total annual harvest comes during archery the unit transitions to a draw unit.

Because there is no cap on the number of OTC non-permits sold to non-residents, that means that a flood of successful  non-residents can push a unit to a draw for archery.

I believe we should be petitioning the commission to adjust the guidelines regarding NR archery deer permits. I would advocate a cap on the total number available for purchase, which could lead to problematic situations for a first come first serve buying scenario. Or requiring NR’s to apply for archery. But either way, my recommendation is that NR be required to choose between applying for a rifle hunt / building points and hunting the archery hunt.

I agree 1000%

14 minutes ago, CatfishKev said:

Ive been told it doesnt really work though. Some say it results in too many illegal kills which get left and untagged. Which im not too sure i believe.  Although i have seen it happen with a spike getting killed on the youth cow hunt last year, but im sure thats a completely different story.  

I've heard that too. Just seems like it has to be better then everyone near the road getting killed... maybe some survive, but if you are doubling up at that same pace, then yeah I can see where it hurts. Might depend on the penalty too and if you do at least 2 points on both sides...Make the penalty harsh enough to be the deterrent maybe?

26 minutes ago, Outdoor Writer said:

So how many NR OTC deer tags are being sold now....in the 10s, 100s, 1000s....? 

I have never seen that information published. But the department has it, no doubt. I suspect they would require a FOIA request (as they always seem to insist on for even simple requests).

7 minutes ago, Flatlander said:

I have never seen that information published. But the department has it, no doubt. I suspect they would require a FOIA request (as they always seem to insist on for even simple requests).

My point, but just in case...before trying to solve a problem, it first needs to be identified as one. I doubt going before the commission with an anecdotal, "I saw too many out-of-state license plates during my deer hunt'' is going to sway too many minds. 

Just now, Outdoor Writer said:

My point, but just in case...before trying to solve a problem, it first needs to be identified as one. I doubt going before the commission with an anecdotal, "I saw too many out-of-state license plates during my deer hunt' is going to sway too many minds. 

Seemed to work for the people who felt they were seeing too many trail cameras.

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

I think we also need to have mandatory reporting. Without that the harvest numbers wont be accurate for tag allotment the following year. 

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Outdoor Writer said:

My point, but just in case...before trying to solve a problem, it first needs to be identified as one. I doubt going before the commission with an anecdotal, "I saw too many out-of-state license plates during my deer hunt'' is going to sway too many minds. 

I left a message for Amber Munig. If I get a response I will keep everyone posted.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Flatlander said:

I left a message for Amber Munig. If I get a response I will keep everyone posted.

As to the count for the NR OTC permits, it's probably a good idea to go back at least a year or two and not use 2020/21. With all the shutdowns and slowdowns, there are a LOT of guys either unemployed or with more free time to hunt than they would normally have.  

AND...I probably should have added something to indicate the sarcasm in my other reply. IMHO, the last thing that needs to happen is to toss anything cynical about the camera issue at the comissioners. That would not come under the help topic of "How to win friends & influence people" but more under "How to shoot oneself in the foot."

• Like 1

OTC NR deer hunters have gotten out of control the last few years. We can thank Hush, Randy Newberg, Gritty and the rest of them for that. I'd like to see our state start catering more towards residents. There are plenty of states that have OTC opportunities for residents that are not available to NR. NR archery deer tags need to become a draw. They cap our NR draw tags and they need to do it to OTC tags as well. I have no clue on percentage but it does FEEL like i see more NR license plates than AZ plates on OTC hunts anymore, especially December/January. In 2018/2019, there was a hardware store in a remote, small town in AZ that sold over 1000 OTC deer tags in december/january that were predominantly NR's. This info came from a game warden that was concerned about it. Same warden said that 80% of the people he checked in the January hunt were NR's. 

• Like 5
  • Wow! 1

I was curious about the point restriction thing. Sent a text to 2 of the wifes family members back in PA where ot has been in play for years. Here are their responses...  just passing it on.  I personally have mixed thoughts on it.

From one guy

The point restrictions as far as I'm concerned has definitely given way to bigger bucks as they were given a chance to mature. Most people follow the restrictions and as with most hunters they are not going to just shoot something and let it rot.  I haven't been hunting in PA for a few years but it is better when you don't see a bunch of guys with dead  button bucks and spikes.

And from the other...

I would have to say overall that it is helping to see bigger bucks. But the poacher factor is  really putting a dent in this area and farmers shooting more then they need to . Is really downsizing the population .my self and my neighbors only shoot bucks no does I have anywhere from 3-8 does every other night coming out in the field bucks are very limited. I didn't  get to hunt very much this year and I only seen like 2 small spikes and the five point I shot more less a scrub buck not very wide. For me from now on it's a rack buck or none at all. Racks are getting bigger just taking forever.Most people anymore post private land so the deer just stay and not being pushed so I guess that's why deer seem none to plentiful at times.I know lots of people just shoot whatever they see and less people being more selective.Selection is definitely the key if people would care a little more it would change for the better but you know how that goes.