Sign in to follow this  
Wnn135

Over the counter tags

End the Dec. OTC Tags. stop competing with the Dec Wt hunt. .poor deer are ponded from Aug. thru Feb.

Make it a Draw ., The herd will expand. & the Dec. Rifle won't be Cl F 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bowhunter4life said:

You might want to do a public record request- this way you will get all of 2019 & 2020 resident and non resident OTC deer tag number to compare.

That’s what I meant, not a FOIA. I’d like to get 2017-2020. Trends are more important than single year data.

• Like 2

I think you go to all Archery tags and take away your guns, and then see how many Deer are killed, if that's what your trying to accomplish.

7 minutes ago, Doggy said:

I think you go to all Archery tags and take away your guns, and then see how many Deer are killed, if that's what your trying to accomplish.

Deal. 

7 archery deer in the last 10years. I’ll take those odds!!

• Wow! 1

10 minutes ago, Doggy said:

I think there’s more mature carp deer killed with bows every year than with rifles in the otc units 

• Like 2

Well I’m not saying guys don’t kill Deer with their bows, many do which amazes me because it’s not easy, but there are way more Deer killed with a rifle, it’s so easy you have to move back to 900 yards then start taking pot shots to make it a challenge. 

21 minutes ago, oz31p said:

Deal. 

7 archery deer in the last 10years. I’ll take those odds!!

That’s awesome, put a rifle in your hands and you would have been 10 for 10. 

11 minutes ago, Doggy said:

That’s awesome, put a rifle in your hands and you would have been 10 for 10. 

Killed several with a rifle also, but I think the point is you can limit the numbers with a drawn rifle tag vs every walmart in the state selling 10’s of thousands of tags 

58 minutes ago, trphyhntr said:

Non res tag + license = about $500 right? Tags ain’t going nowhere boyos 

Most of these guys are buying a license anyway so it’s really just the $300 non-permit tag.

And I wouldn’t suggest banning them. Just making them choose between rifle or archery. The days of being able to hunt otc archery, leftover coues and build points for the Kaibab are about done. Definitely time for them to be over for NR.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Flatlander said:

Most of these guys are buying a license anyway so it’s really just the $300 non-permit tag.

Lol what? So where was I wrong about the non resident license and permit for about $500. Everyone that buys a non res otc deer tag buys a non res license right? 

I ran into a guy the other day from Northern California. Talked for about half hour as he was here archery hunting. Sounded like a good fella and I gave him some info. He was in an area that I haven’t seen very many out of staters.

you guys are opening a can of worms with OTC archery tags.

My guess is the will make it permit only for coues in some southern units, this will do 2 things. stack the heck out of hunters putting in for north rim Muley hunts cause why do you want to waste your bonus points on wannabe deer (coues) ;)  and make it harder than heck to draw coues deer in certain units.

Most archery hunters(not all) put in for rifle deer in select units then if they dont get drawn go OTC.

Then the other thing, AZG&F by rules run a Equal system, This was discussed during the USO and NON Res debacle back in the 90's. I forget the actual bylaws they were talking about. but they have to have the same deal for non res and res.  They wont make NR's goto draw for those OTC deer tag. they will make it the same for Both NR's and residents.

I don’t mind who has the tag NR or a local. I do mind the amount of OTC tags issued and the g&f not managing this # is a bit hard to stomach. All for gold coins.

7 minutes ago, Delw said:

you guys are opening a can of worms with OTC archery tags.

My guess is the will make it permit only for coues in some southern units, this will do 2 things. stack the heck out of hunters putting in for north rim Muley hunts cause why do you want to waste your bonus points on wannabe deer (coues) ;)  and make it harder than heck to draw coues deer in certain units.

Most archery hunters(not all) put in for rifle deer in select units then if they dont get drawn go OTC.

Then the other thing, AZG&F by rules run a Equal system, This was discussed during the USO and NON Res debacle back in the 90's. I forget the actual bylaws they were talking about. but they have to have the same deal for non res and res.  They wont make NR's goto draw for those OTC deer tag. they will make it the same for Both NR's and residents.

If otc tags became draw, ALL tags would be draw not just southern whitetail. And your right, most non successful rifle hunters will grab the bow and hunt again. Why would the G&F lose out on that revenue by making archery a draw?