Sign in to follow this  
Wnn135

Over the counter tags

Again, nothing that I disagree with you on.  It would just be nice if a taxpaying Arizona resident could have a little "seniority" over nonresidents.  I know that's probably a selfish thing to say but I have no problem driving up and seeing a car with AZ plates, that's no problem to me, but seeing a car from another state just for some reason doesn't sit well with me. But again, I know it's all about money and probably a little selfish on my part but it is what it is.

27 minutes ago, Riesop said:

Again, nothing that I disagree with you on.  It would just be nice if a taxpaying Arizona resident could have a little "seniority" over nonresidents.  I know that's probably a selfish thing to say but I have no problem driving up and seeing a car with AZ plates, that's no problem to me, but seeing a car from another state just for some reason doesn't sit well with me. But again, I know it's all about money and probably a little selfish on my part but it is what it is.

I would be a hypocrite if I held the same notion since I've hunted and/or fished in at least 39 other states and 11 Canadian provinces. 😉 

My take is, I can't go get an OTC archery tag in NM, CO, UT, NV, etc. so I'm not real big on having an army of out-of-state hunters flooding one of the few opportunities we residents used to count on while building points for some of the desirable hunts.

• Like 3

I don’t know if it’s all about the money, but just like everyone else under the sun, more is better.  I don’t know anyone that says they make enough money.  

The long term solution is more land.  That’s why everyone is upset.  Everywhere they go they see someone. It’s because there’s fewer places to go.  Those places left are full of not just hunters, it’s everyone interested in getting away like the ATV guys, campers, shooters, etc..  I don’t know what to do about that except maybe pay land owners not to build like we pay farmers not to grow.  Get prepared! When the only land left is public and the agencies are scrambling with what fees to add or increase and what places to close down or restrict due to overcrowding and other problems, what are we going to do?  

5 minutes ago, Coach said:

My take is, I can't go get an OTC archery tag in NM, CO, UT, NV, etc. so I'm not real big on having an army of out-of-state hunters flooding one of the few opportunities we residents used to count on while building points for some of the desirable hunts.

Without researching, I don't recall all the specifics for deer. I do recall from an article I did a while back that Colorado offers a variety of OTC hunts for elk and antelope, and Utah also sells some OTC for elk. 

18 minutes ago, Outdoor Writer said:

I would be a hypocrite if I held the same notion since I've hunted and/or fished in at least 39 other states and 11 Canadian provinces. 😉 

Just my point.  I'm a teacher, hunting other states and Canadian provinces is WAY out of my price range so being able to hunt in my own state is pretty important to me.  I'm glad you get to enjoy those other hunts.

22 minutes ago, Coach said:

I couldn't agree with you more, well said.

9 minutes ago, Riesop said:

Just my point.  I'm a teacher, hunting other states and Canadian provinces is WAY out of my price range so being able to hunt in my own state is pretty important to me.  I'm glad you get to enjoy those other hunts.

In reality, there are a bunch of states where you can hunt OTC deer with a fairly inexpensive NR license. As long as you can drive to them, they're good options. The downside is finding a place to hunt in ones toward the east. 

As for me enjoying them, those days are sadly over. That's why I'm selling all my hunting, fishing, camping gear & memorabilia I've accumualated over the last 60 years. 

Arizona is a beautiful place. It is rich with outdoor interests and history from kingman to douglas. I am one of those non-residents that loves to spend my vacation time there......but so far I rarely hunt OTC. 

As I age, every opportunity to hunt is one thing I am looking forward to, before I am "aged-out."  I will undoubtedly start pursuing the OTC tag while it exists, as my time is starting to free-up. In fact, I will probably move to AZ in a few years....the time is close I will be able to leave California- its simply horrible to live in a place where nobody shares your values or passion for the outdoors, let alone hunting.

That being said, I understand all your views about the flood of non-residents coming. Its just not for the hunting, but for a better quality of life...but don't let me get you all started down that road. 

Please don't become like the utards and flip me off when you see my truck's plates headed toward you out in the field. I will respect your space and live by the golden rule, if we all do that, our hunting community will be a great place.. 

Good luck to you all the remainder of the season and stay safe!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Outdoor Writer said:

And they’re systems are all the same as Arizona then? 

24 minutes ago, Elmacho said:

Arizona is a beautiful place. It is rich with outdoor interests and history from kingman to douglas. I am one of those non-residents that loves to spend my vacation time there......but so far I rarely hunt OTC. 

As I age, every opportunity to hunt is one thing I am looking forward to, before I am "aged-out."  I will undoubtedly start pursuing the OTC tag while it exists, as my time is starting to free-up. In fact, I will probably move to AZ in a few years....the time is close I will be able to leave California- its simply horrible to live in a place where nobody shares your values or passion for the outdoors, let alone hunting.

That being said, I understand all your views about the flood of non-residents coming. Its just not for the hunting, but for a better quality of life...but don't let me get you all started down that road. 

Please don't become like the utards and flip me off when you see my truck's plates headed toward you out in the field. I will respect your space and live by the golden rule, if we all do that, our hunting community will be a great place.. 

Good luck to you all the remainder of the season and stay safe!

Sorry man, CA plates have to get the finger. My hands are tied here.

• Haha 1

Just now, CatfishKev said:

Sorry man, CA plates have to get the finger. My hands are tied here.

You aren’t even from here. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

14 minutes ago, Flatlander said:

You aren’t even from here. 

I am now! Besides 21 years is enough to make myself feel at home.   I have zero desire to even visit PA at this point.  Only thing i miss is good pizza. 

Catfish, its all good, but if your gonna dish it out, be ready for a response.  I am not the normal CA type.  (BTW my grandfather and greats were from Florence, Sonoita, Patagonia and I still have people buried there, I am coming back to my roots:)

All the same, good luck this season.

I really dont mind the next guy that just wants to be in the field as do I. What irritates me and I think is classless is the decision to pay x hunter(s) to use their social media platform to increase awareness of otc opportunities. The department boasts about adhering to the north American hunting model yet they act in this manner. They also turn a cheek to the fiasco of what is the sacred governors tag. Which in my opinion should be held to a higher standard not the highest paying customer.