thegunsmith2506

Arizona

3 hours ago, Saguaro said:

This is true only for the city.  In my home town of Holbrook, I sometimes go for a drive and pass friends or neighbors homes.  If they are outside, I stop and visit with them.  Most of the time when I do that, I get invited inside and enjoy a meal with the family.  Likewise, when people pass my house and see me, they almost always stop to visit. My home in Mesa, I make every effort to avoid neighbors expect for one.  I find I don’t even answer the door.

Why do you hate Mesa people and like Holbrook people though lol

1 hour ago, trphyhntr said:

Why do you hate Mesa people and like Holbrook people though lol

Lol.  It’s not them at all, it’s me.  I guess it’s what the city does to a person.  I’m sure my neighbors are great people, at least they look like it.  My attitude after navigating through a hundred stoplights and butt time behind the wheel and job stress makes me run inside and lock up behind me.

15 hours ago, trphyhntr said:

Climate, 105+ degrees 7 months out of the year 

culture, people driving their cars into their driveways and never talking to their neighbors

My daughter lives in Buckeye in a cookie cutter neighborhood. Whenever I go to visit the only thing I can liken it to is the birds leave the nest to go out and forage for the day and then come back to the nest in the evening. She has lived there for three years and has no idea who her neighbors are and she shares three property boundary brick walls with them. Found a ball in her yard and she didn't even know if they had kids.

• Like 1

I like the San Pedro.  I have a few books on Arizona and it used to be quite the River.  There are stories about the early people hunting near it and the deer were easy targets and there were even bears in there.  Now it’s too far gone with the tamarisk and agriculture.  It’s amazing what 100 years will do to a place.  You can’t hardly go without seeing a structure the whole length.  I think I found one stretch where you can go for about three miles without seeing anything marred by man.  I wish I could see what the next hundred years will do to it.

It’s everywhere now.  It will be just like trying to find an unmolested place back east.  It’s sprawled out almost everywhere except public lands.  It will be just like Africa and South America where the only wild places are national parks or public lands.  I notice it more and more.  Think about it...  If you take the Concho turn off at 180 and take it to Concho, then on the 61 to the 60 to Show Low and take the 260 to Heber driving through Linden, Pinedale, it’s populated the whole way, about 80 miles. There’s a small stretch just before Bison Ranch that’s open.   Some of those places you don’t know if it’s Concho or Vernon, or Linden or Clay Springs, Pinedale or Aripine.