Sign in to follow this  
MULEPACKHUNTER

Any Outdoorsman pack users

Recently picked up the palisade 90 bag due to the fact that I have 2 of the atlas trainers and 2 frames so figured to save some money (when my main pack broke) and just convert 1 trainer over to backpack. I like this set up so far, used it on day hunts recently and hauled tree stands as well. Just returned from 3 days in the wilderness in full camp on back mode and it was a good set up for that. I just have one question, there is a zipper access on the back bottom of the bag to access the inside but the main bag comes all the way down past this access so its basically non usable if anything is in the main bag???? not an issue just curious what the thoughts were on this odd set up.

FYI I loaded 5 days worth of food and gear and did not use the extra accessory bag and fully loaded water and food was 37 lbs. Pack rode nice and stayed tight, I did have to squeeze a lot of my wind checker on all the touch points to the frame due to major squeak noise but that cleared it right up. If I could change two things I would have given more room for the lid to come over the top of the load and a little larger lumbar pad. The tripod set up is really good. Hoping to separate the bag from the frame for some meat hauling soon!!!!!

Ya I hate squeaks, baby powder works well or dry lube spray. I have 2 cots that used to squeak bad but baby powder solved it.

I have had the Optics pack for going on three years. The squeeks are really annoying. I have used external frame packs for 40 years and never had an issue with any of them until I bought this one. If I sinch all the starps down that really helps.

My only other beef was the waist belt needed to be tightend every 100 yards but I finally found a couple of buckles to add on each side which stopped that. Overall it is a good pack but it could have been a better pack with a little more R&D on their part.

• Like 1

The only squeak my optics hunter has is in the waist belt. I think it’s the belt itself. I hate that. 

I think the bottom zipper you are talking about is for the bottom of the bow pocket? In that case the pocket folds down and should be lower than the main compartment.

When the main bag is empty, i use that bottom compartment to store my rain gear, rain fly, and accessory pod. For anything else, I would say that access is kinda useless. And getting into there with a full pack is more trouble than its worth

luckily mine doesn't squeak but when i was with a friend the other day, i definitely noticed that his does haha