Elkhunter1

Proper skinning of a Javelina.

Here is a video of how my family skins a Javelina. This is the best way to do it without cross-contaminating the meat with the musk oil.

• Like 5

Excellent video. 👍 My mentor taught me that method nearly 60 years ago, albeit without the gloves back then. Here's a buddy & I utilizing it in 1960s. We started this way for cleaning the cavity, then flipped them for the actual skinning.

post-82-1189639840.jpg.1a5c2c30f8a5a2eba8bdc7269feac2d3.jpg

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Outdoor Writer said:

Excellent video. 👍 My mentor taught me that method nearly 60 years ago, albeit without the gloves back then. Here's a buddy & I utilizing it in 1960s. We started this way for cleaning the cavity, then flipped them for the actual skinning.

post-82-1189639840.jpg.1a5c2c30f8a5a2eba8bdc7269feac2d3.jpg

Thank you. I was getting asked all the time, "how do you process your animals" or "what am I doing wrong, they still taste strong?"  So I decided to do these videos.  Great photo!

Oh man, I'm screwed. I am completely ambidextrous with a knife. I will never remember to not switch hands. Thanks for posting. 

• Like 1

What....!!!  Skinning a javelina , I thought you stick it , shake hands then take pictures and leave  .. Crows have to eat as do worms …. Just kidding … with 12hr Jack Daniels marinade its just fine..IMG_2302.thumb.jpg.45f51a6cd329f1de00db3569a87a7154.jpg

• Like 2

Today we went gutless instead of field dressing it first, but pretty much did this the same way.  One of these years, I might remember the gloves!  That is quite a while to age the meat.  I have never been that patient nor have had the room in the fridge.  

One comment on the gloves having dealt with silicone contamination and bonding.  If you put your clean glove on with the dirty glove, you will have potentially cross-contaminated the clean glove.  

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Big Tub said:

Today we went gutless instead of field dressing it first, but pretty much did this the same way.  One of these years, I might remember the gloves!  That is quite a while to age the meat.  I have never been that patient nor have had the room in the fridge.  

One comment on the gloves having dealt with silicone contamination and bonding.  If you put your clean glove on with the dirty glove, you will have potentially cross-contaminated the clean glove.  

Yes, potential is there, I only had three gloves, and they are Nitrile not latex.  I has an old refer. I use just for aging/holding meat.

I do all this in the field gutless method. Then I bone out the meat put into 4 one gallon ziplock bags including skull and leave. Simple as can be. I can do an entire pig in about an hour. Trim in the convenience of my kitchen and do whatever preparation I choose. Generally an awesome Jalapeno polish that I've developed over the years and smoke.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Mr September said:

I do all this in the field gutless method. Then I bone out the meat put into 4 one gallon ziplock bags including skull and leave. Simple as can be. I can do an entire pig in about an hour. Trim in the convenience of my kitchen and do whatever preparation I choose. Generally an awesome Jalapeno polish that I've developed over the years and smoke.

Care to share the jalepeno polish sausage recipe?

I agree I do it the same way , I get all my game off the bone asap and on ice..  I don't know if the right way but its definitely the right way for me.. I find it less gamey and don't have to deal with the meat shell that forms from hanging .. but I do have little butcher background so I find it easy and I enjoy doing it al myself..

• Like 1

On 1/7/2021 at 6:08 AM, Mr September said:

^^^^ X2

Pictures, hang, skin then gutless process.  Tag a foot, put meat in a game bag and head to the truck.  Meat is good,

• Like 1

Same here on the gutless "Alaska" method.  I pack a large trash bag to lay out to keep things clean during the butchering and deboning process.  You end up with a few gallon bags of easily packable meat.  I leave the head and hide as my wife has shared that I have enough of them already.  My only problem is that I am leaving the back straps.  What do you gutless guys do to about the back straps?

Mr. September, please share the Jalapeno Polish Sausage recipe.

23 minutes ago, Whitesheep said:

Same here on the gutless "Alaska" method.  I pack a large trash bag to lay out to keep things clean during the butchering and deboning process.  You end up with a few gallon bags of easily packable meat.  I leave the head and hide as my wife has shared that I have enough of them already.  My only problem is that I am leaving the back straps.  What do you gutless guys do to about the back straps?

Mr. September, please share the Jalapeno Polish Sausage recipe.

I think you mean tenderloin.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PRDATR said:

I think you mean tenderloin.

Must be talking the tenderloin. Very easy to go behind the last rib, push the guts down and darn near work out the tenderloin with your finger.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, high rise hunter said:

Must be talking the tenderloin. Very easy to go behind the last rib, push the guts down and darn near work out the tenderloin with your finger.

You are both correct.  I did mean the tenderloin.  I'll try this if I get one this year.  Thanks for the tip.

• Like 1