AZorion

Primer outward dimple

This is because you are using small primer brass in a receiver with a bolt designed for large primers. Firing pin needs to be bushed for proper fitment or change brass to a large primer pocket. This is a common problem with Savages especially but other actions as well. Another simple fix would be use a CCI #450 magnum as the cups are harder and you wont get pierced or dimpled primers. My wifes match gun chambered in 6mmBR had this problem and switching to the 450s cured it. 

Yep what stomp says. Use large rifle primer pocket brass. That primer flowed into the firing pin hole. If this is new brass it will have excess headspace to begin with. Once fire formed to your chamber it will be a better fit. I hope you're not starting load work until you have fireformed brass first so I'm assuming this has been fire formed.

On 1/6/2021 at 7:35 AM, STOMP442 said:

This is because you are using small primer brass in a receiver with a bolt designed for large primers. Firing pin needs to be bushed for proper fitment or change brass to a large primer pocket. This is a common problem with Savages especially but other actions as well. Another simple fix would be use a CCI #450 magnum as the cups are harder and you wont get pierced or dimpled primers. My wifes match gun chambered in 6mmBR had this problem and switching to the 450s cured it. 

This is interesting as I have never saw that before or thought about it. are you saying that the firing pin bore is too sloppy for the pin? that makes alot of sense

Now that you mentioned it it also looks like they chamfer the firing pin bore as well.

sure would love to see the pics of the bolt face it would explain alot.

51 minutes ago, Delw said:

This is interesting as I have never saw that before or thought about it. are you saying that the firing pin bore is too sloppy for the pin? that makes alot of sense

Now that you mentioned it it also looks like they chamfer the firing pin bore as well.

sure would love to see the pics of the bolt face it would explain alot.

Yes, like what mentioned above what is happening is the primer is actually flowing into the excess space around the firing pin and the hole. If it flows too much it will actually pierce and find its way into the bolt causing even more issues. I am willing to bet the CCI 450 will fix the issue unless its just really bad. In that case some large primer brass will be needed. 

I have a Remington 700 Classic that started as a .257 Roberts went to a 6.5x55, then a 6.5x47, never had an issue with the SR primer, but when the action was trued the firing pin hole was bushed. Never heard of the OP's rifle, so I googled it up and if he paid for it what I saw they were listed for, it ought to sing and dance, and not have any primer issues.

I'm wondering if someone installed a small diameter firing pin (.062") in that bolt. That would really aggravate the situation instead of making it better.

2 hours ago, STOMP442 said:

Yes, like what mentioned above what is happening is the primer is actually flowing into the excess space around the firing pin and the hole. If it flows too much it will actually pierce and find its way into the bolt causing even more issues. I am willing to bet the CCI 450 will fix the issue unless its just really bad. In that case some large primer brass will be needed. 

Thanks, we used to always use the cci primers back in the day on revolvers cause they were harder if I racall for that reason, I quite shooting pistols over 20 years ago lol

10 minutes ago, L Cazador said:

I'm wondering if someone installed a small diameter firing pin (.062") in that bolt. That would really aggravate the situation instead of making it better.

Thats what I was thinking as well.  stomps and turkeys comments. did a quick search and was reading that .003 clearance for firing pin was best on bolt guns.

I have not been able to get back out and test out the theories on the dimple.  I have loaded up some LRP Hornady brass.  I think that may have been the issue since it had no problems with factory ammo with large primers.