Sign in to follow this  
Outdoor Writer

$$$ Vintage Framed Winchester Print

This VERY SPECIAL print was created and donated specifically to be auctioned at the The Professional Outdoor Media Assoc.'s (POMA) first ever annual conference in Springfield, MO in 2005. The print, titled "Hold 'Em Steady," is 16"X 21" by itself and 22"X 28" with frame. This vintage print, which is possibly a lithograph, was originally used for a wall calendar produced by the Winchester Repeating Arms Company of New Haven Connecticut for advertising in 1917. It is printed on heavy stock paper and is mounted on a cardboard backing. The artist was William Robinson Leigh (September 23, 1866 – March 11, 1955), an American artist and illustrator, who was known for his painted Western scenes. There is his machine signature on the print. 

I've done extensive searches, and as far as I can tell it is quite rare in this size. I found a framed one that was an 8" x 10" print, selling for $99. There is also one on eBay that's only 10" X 12" with matt & frame for $40

$200

I will consider reasonable offers but no trades. Payment via PayPal (buyer doesn't need an acct; just a CC or checking acct.) or cash only. Must be picked up near 67th Ave. & Camelback in Glendale, AZ. NO SHIPPING because of the fragile glass. 

winchester2JPG.thumb.JPG.904a0ffb7e6859a0496068bc42b3d69c.JPG

This is the original calendar

winchesterposter.thumb.jpg.0cd77981346b3f5873884043f644a3dd.jpg

About the Artist

William Robinson Leigh was born on September 23, 1866 at Maidstone Manor Farm, Berkeley County, West Virginia. He entered the Maryland Institute for the Promotion of the Mechanic Arts (now known as Maryland Institute College
of Art) at age 14, then attended the Royal Academy in Munich. He returned to the United States after twelve years abroad and worked painting cycloramas and as a magazine illustrator. An example is the cover illustration of the August 4, 1904 Leslie's Weekly featuring a policeman "Piloting Children to Safety at a Crowded New York Crossing.

He married twice, and fathered William Colston Leigh, Sr. (1901–1992). His first wife was Anna Seng Leigh, mother of his son, their marriage ended in a divorce sometime before 1906. His second wife was Ethel Traphagen Leigh (1883–1963), was the founder of Traphagen School of Fashion in New York City.

In 1906, Leigh traveled to the American West and maintained a studio in New York City. In 1926 he travelled to Africa at the invitation of Carl Akeley for the American Museum of Natural History, and from this experience wrote and illustrated Frontiers of Enchantment: An Artist's Adventures in Africa.[5] In 1933, he wrote and illustrated The Western Pony. His adventures were chronicled in a number of popular magazines including Life, the Saturday Evening Post, and Colliers.[1] He is known for painting the Grand Canyon and Yellowstone National Park, but his primary interest were the Hopi and Navajo Indians. In 1953 he was elected into the National Academy of Design as an Associate member and became a full Academician in 1955.

Leigh also made astrobiological art for the March 1908 issue of Cosmopolitan, with four full-page illustrations of an article written by H. G. Wells, "The Things that Live on Mars", which speculated about Martian life. Science fiction writer Edmond Hamilton, born October 1904, described looking and re-looking at the issue as a defining experience in his life. "I wasn't yet able to read it, to read the article, but those pictures!"[8]

After his death, Leigh's New York studio was given to the Gilcrease Museum in Tulsa, Oklahoma.

Reminds me of MulePackHunter trying to control one of his mules.

Wish the calendar was from May 1918.

Cool painting, some animals won't pack blood.

1 minute ago, Outdoor Writer said:

Is that your birthday?? 🙄

Oh you should talk...

Grandparents married in Dragoon, AZ 5/1917

1 minute ago, Edge said:

Oh you should talk...

Grandparents married in Dragoon, AZ 5/1917

🤣 But I don't have the calendar anyway. It's the framed print with no date that's FS. There are calendar prints for sale with other months shown, however. I did a google search on "winchester 1917 calendar prints."