Sign in to follow this  
Markleo21377

Graduation gift.....which elk unit

Hey all,

Hope everyone's 2021 is off to a good start and you and your families are doing well. Just throwing this out to gather thoughts and opinions ahead of the elk draw. My buddy from Michigan's 17 year old daughter has 6 elk points as non-resident and I am hoping to help her kill her first bull elk as a graduation gift. We are looking to put her in for late bull and I will be scouting multiple weekends leading up to the hunt to give her the best shot possible. She is knocking on the door of the bonus round for a few units 4a, 6b,  7W, 8, 9 and should be guaranteed 22N both late hunts. 

She's a stone cold killer with 5 eastern whitetail bucks, 1 mule deer, and one cow elk under her belt and shooting 500+ yards is not an issue. Our goal would be to shoot a decent 280+ bull.......thoughts????? Appreciate it, Mark

• Like 1

Of the options you listed I would probably look at 7W and 8. However I think with point creep those are going to be tough draws.

The second 22 late hunt and 3B muzzleloader look like more realistic options. A 280” bull might be pushing it on those hunts.

• Like 1

with a serious investment-and i mean serious-of time and hard work anything is possible in 3B.  there has not been a centerfire rifle hunt in the unit for 15 years.

luck

lee

4 hours ago, Flatlander said:

Of the options you listed I would probably look at 7W and 8. However I think with point creep those are going to be tough draws.

The second 22 late hunt and 3B muzzleloader look like more realistic options. A 280” bull might be pushing it on those hunts.

Appreciate your opinion and both of those are on the top of my list. 22n and I have a love/ hate relationship. I helped 5 guys in a row kill bulls on both seasons and last year took an older gentleman for 3 days with high hopes and could barely turn up a handful of cows. I guess I was due a lesson in humility. 

3b muzzleloader has always intrigued me but not sure I could do it justice because of how far it is from home. Thanks again, Mark

Screenshot_20200917-122225.thumb.png.b8e7366bd9ad964630d7a792c18fc888.pngScreenshot_20200917-080946.thumb.png.021e69d83322bb80d1cddd56a253eb61.png

52 minutes ago, biglakejake said:

with a serious investment-and i mean serious-of time and hard work anything is possible in 3B.  there has not been a centerfire rifle hunt in the unit for 15 years.

luck

lee

Appreciate your insight. I'm all about hard work and finding big ones in units most turn thier noses up to. Helped a guy from south Carolina last year on an archery bull hunt in a unit biologist said it was near impossible to scratch out a 350 bull and had my guy on one 350+ 3 times. 

Not great odds on with only 6 points as a non-res. That being said, 5A late rifle is 39% draw odds. I would definately look at that as a option..