bowhunter-tw

Mule deer Rut question

I was bowhunting 20a this weekend, saturday was a bust. 20mph wind all day saw zero deer. Sunday, no wind, started hunting late and saw about 30 doe/fawns, Will the bucks stay away from a doe if it has fawns? Or is the rut over?

Bucks won't stay away from does with fawns,they want to see where that fawn came from. Trust me the rut is not over.Sat. was tough due to the wind.

Is it weird that not one group of does had bucks chasing or was that just my luck? I talked to another hunter hunting the same area who shot a buck that morning and said he was with 4 other bucks, I woulda thought the bucks would be split up? He also told me to hunt the sunny sides of the hill... news to me Ive always hunted shade, he was right all the deer were in the sun. Learning a lot about hunting outside the desert region.

The rut doesn’t get “hot” until the last 10-14 days of January. To be honest, February is probably the peak rut for most desert units in my opinion. 

I guess I don’t know what good rutting is. If the mature bucks are with the groups of does that’s good rutting to me. I had a 170 size buck with does on cam this season December 2nd. 

4 hours ago, trphyhntr said:

I guess I don’t know what good rutting is. If the mature bucks are with the groups of does that’s good rutting to me. I had a 170 size buck with does on cam this season December 2nd. 

I guess when I see bucks with does or paying attention to them I would consider it the rut, I havent seen them even doing that yet. Going back out this weekend, we’ll see...

Been hunting hard since right after Xmas and have seen lots of does but only a couple of bucks above 160. still seeing groups of does without mature bucks. I don't know if it has anything to do with it but they shot the sh!t out of them during the general hunting over water.

Due to this drought and the poor conditions there will be does that don't cycle. With no rain the does that do breed will drop fawns that aren't 100% healthy. No vegetation for cover means higher fawn  predation. There is going to be long term effects. You can bet G&F won't cut permits either.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, creed said:

Been hunting hard since right after Xmas and have seen lots of does but only a couple of bucks above 160. still seeing groups of does without mature bucks. I don't know if it has anything to do with it but they shot the sh!t out of them during the general hunting over water.

Due to this drought and the poor conditions there will be does that don't cycle. With no rain the does that do breed will drop fawns that aren't 100% healthy. No vegetation for cover means higher fawn  predation. There is going to be long term effects. You can bet G&F won't cut permits either.

I agree.  All of what you said combined with the hoards on out of state archery hunters right now is a bad combination for our deer population.

18 hours ago, Yuma Outdoorsman said:

The rut doesn’t get “hot” until the last 10-14 days of January. To be honest, February is probably the peak rut for most desert units in my opinion. 

Agreed ☝️. End of February into early March I'll still have desert bucks on camera pushing does or nose to ground running washes.

The theory that i’ve been working on for years is that the amount of january archery hunters there are has caused the rut to start later/last longer. Fawns get dropped later and they are weaker than they should be when winter rolls around. The few fawns i see anymore are being dropped in mid-late august. That is indicative of a doe that was bred in late february/march. Fawns should be dropped in July .

• Like 4

Hopefully this weekend I can find the exceptions and find the bucks that are rutting. Last year I shot a decent coues last weekend in january right after he had been fighting hard with another buck for an hour, very cool experience