Sign in to follow this  
down2hunt

Raccoon Hunting

Hey guys/gals, I want to work my airedale terrier on some raccoons. If anyone is having issues with raccoons that are not to far from Phoenix, I would love to get some in my cage traps. If you know where I may trap a few or where I can take my dog for some hunting I would greatly appreciate the help!

Thanks in advance,

JD

Our Airedale past away last yr and my wife wants another one. We used to breed them yrs ago, fantastic dog. We had a couple I would use with my lion hounds. If any of you know a good breeder please PM so I can look into getting her a pup.

R.Harris

• Like 1

Encountered coons off Miller Rd, Salt River.

• Like 2

So how unusual would it be to traipse around the entire state in the woods & desert and on the lakes for 50+ years and never see a live racoon or a skunk?? That's exactly what I've done. The only skunk I've seen was dead on the side of the road. 

• Like 1
  • Wow! 1

32nd street and I-10.  On the north west corner in the ADOT right of way and into the landscaping of the nearby buildings.  I did work there when it was UoP online and would get there every morning before the sun came up.  Saw them every day.  I don’t know who’s there now.  It’s worth a look.  There may be security, but they may be cool about it.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Outdoor Writer said:

So how unusual would it be to traipse around the entire state in the woods & desert and on the lakes for 50+ years and never see a live racoon or a skunk?? That's exactly what I've done. The only skunk I've seen was dead on the side of the road. 

I’ve seen porcupines up north and not far from my house out by the CAP canal also I have even feed skunks up in oak creek by hand at picnic tables in bootlegger formerly slide rock camp even have seen a couple badgers up north and out by wickenburg. 

15 minutes ago, Outdoor Writer said:

I never saw a Racoon until I saw those on 32nd street.  Probably 35 years without seeing one.  The Electrician is the one that pointed them out to me.  They would go to the dumpsters and try to find food.  Lions are where I have bad luck.  Only seen one and I think I do a lot of getting out and looking.  Others here make seeing them sound so routine.

43 minutes ago, 360 0r Better said:

I’ve seen porcupines up north and not far from my house out by the CAP canal also I have even feed skunks up in oak creek by hand at picnic tables in bootlegger formerly slide rock camp even have seen a couple badgers up north and out by wickenburg. 

I've seen porkies and badgers and plenty of coatis, too. Just no live skunks or racoons. I use to catch a bunch of coons in a homemade cage trap at our dumpster when we owned our resort in Colo. I kept one for a couple months but could never get it tamed, so I released it. 

34 minutes ago, Saguaro said:

Others here make seeing them sound so routine.

Exactly. During the late '60s, we camped in Rattlesnake Cove at Bartlett Lake nearly every weekend, and over the years also camped oodles of times at Pleasant, Roosevelt, Apache &  Canyon. Narry a coon in sight.

Other than the lion I killed after a chase with dogs, I've seen only one other in the wild. That was in about 1966 on the side of a ridge on North Kaibab. I was on another ridge several hundred yards away and watched it chase two does around for five minutes. It never stood still long enough for me to try a shot. 

fished out at pleasant 4-6 times a week, in the summer it was always nights. one night we were fishing in pipeline water was low and we were under that big tree in the back. kept seing movement in the tree just above our heads. looked back and there was 4 baby trash pandas sitting on the motor and one on the back seat. Mom came down and started growling and hissing. but jumped to shore.

Saw a Trash panda and a bobcat fight in the water at bartlett one night fishing bye yellow cliffs, coolest thing we ever witnessed. the cat got his butt handed to him.

Yeah the coons were fishing in that abandoned reservoir off Miller Rd. My dog took off after them and they tried to lure him into the water for a bath nap.