Outdoor Writer

Duwane's Hunter Killed a Monster

Glad the Buck didn't become yote bait. But like I told a guide for being pissed at me because I was on a herd of elk for well over a hour before he and his hunter busted them...welcome to public lands dude. Not trying to be a arse but it is true!

• Like 1

Also not defending anyones outfit but Duanes is not the only one that does this. Driving with the hunter till they find the animal A3, mossback, etc  they all do it. And that has nothing to do with trail cameras 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, AZBearhunter said:

then replied "look for our Jeep in the morning, and you'll know where the buck is at." So I understand that they had no obligation to help us find the wounded buck, but come on...... the bucks hit, wouldn't you help someone finish it off,

amazing to me that out of all the hunters on this site, no one would have helped the first hunter with the “booner” buck. Instead  watch the buck through glass, make a plan for the next day while the hunter is walking around blood trailing.   Really   Pathetic at best.  Go ahead and justify on here that it’s just how it is,  He made a bad shot,  BS.  I know many of people that would have tried to help the first hunter out.  Then if it didn’t work out for him, try and kill the buck the next day, but not brag about how good they are.  And really such a great hunt and hunter and guide because they finished off a BIG buck after it laid up all night, got stiff and didn’t want to move the next day.  Way to finish him off guys.  I’m impressed what 3k-5k can but these days.  

• Like 8

Mixed opinions on this subject and subsequent story.  

Anyone can fling an arrow (or bullet) and make a poor shot, then want to claim a big buck is "theirs", even though they can't find it again.  It is fair game for another hunter.

But, if I saw it happen, and watched where it went, I would be the guy that tried to get the hunter's attention and  "walk the hunter in" and helped get another attempt at the buck.  Not keep the location to myself of asked and then go after the buck when the hunter gave up.  

But...if I had been actively hunting the buck for days or weeks myself, and saw the event, but the buck was not mortally injured and escaped, it might be a different story.  You had your chance, but blew it.  My turn now.  

I have had my share of people trying to obviously beat me to an animal, or take a VERY unrealistic shot in an attempt to either get the animal before I could, or scare it away so I would not get an opportunity at it.  Believe me, in those cases, if they made a poor shot and could not locate the animal, and I could, I would be a lot less inclined to help them find it and just wait them out.

Call me an asshole if you want, but there are two sides to every story like this. 

Of course the first hunter wanted to find the buck he hit poorly and could not recover, but got irritated when someone would not help him locate an animal he was incapable of doing so himself.

Of course the guide wanted his paying client to get a crack at the buck, even if it was previously poorly hit.

• Like 10

6 hours ago, AZBearhunter said:

This buck was hit back by a friend of mine named Rod on the Saturday before Duwanes client killed it (they killed him on a Tuesday), his guides were up on a hill at the time of the shoot and watched the entire thing as we tracked the deer and attempted to place another arrow into the buck, he was hit bad in the back legs, the buck worked into some thick brush where we lost him and the blood trail ran dry after about 1/2 mile of tracking. 

Just curious, what caused the bad hit? How far was the shot?

• Like 1

That sucks about your buddy wounding such a good buck.  I think you did a good job describing the event without going into complete outfitter trashing.  What you describe happens with lots of outfitters and it has become somewhat expected.  Clearly a terrible shot that led to a deer suffering for a few days.  Sucks, but it happens.  I would most likely help a guy out find the buck the first day, but after that, that buck just needs to be killed to end the suffering.  I'd make no attempt to locate the original wounder after day 1.  I have no doubts that the guide made 0 effort to help, even on day 1.  Its an expected result of the pressure guides have on themselves.  It has become, Produce big animals for their clients or fade off into the background and lose potential future customers.  

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Flatlander said:

Just curious, what caused the bad hit? How far was the shot?

I missed one from 55 the other day. Couldn’t tell you what happened. 

I sure wish they would ban it, and cameras, but like you said it's not really enforceable.  I just think hunting from the comfort of your truck isn't fair chase.  If that animal is on foot, so should I be.  Just my honest opinion but I guess I'm old school and like getting out to hike and walk.

At one time I thought about hiring a guide for OTC season, help me add to my hunting skill set, learn some new things, pick up some techniques, but the one thing that I have down pat is riding in a truck, I do have that figured out pretty good, thanks to the forum for spilling the beans on guide secrets.... 

Killing a buck wounded by another hunter is a non issue in my opinion.

if the guides knew where a wounded buck was and intentionally didn’t help them in hopes of getting their client on it, that’s about as shady and unethical as it gets.

• Like 6