Outdoor Writer

Duwane's Hunter Killed a Monster

Do like some of the NR's do. They'll pool their money and send one guy on a guided OTC Arizona hunt one season and the next they all go back to the same spot with the knowledge that the guy learned the year prior. It has happened to a couple friends of mine that guide. Yuck

• Like 2
  • Wow! 1

Great thread and interesting read. Lance about covered it all. My 2 cents are, hunt where others are not. Maybe others do not hunt an area because too tough to hike, no road access and worst no big bucks. It is just nice to hunt up a buck working the terrain and using your own knowledge to work an area without dancing around others, some times shoot a small buck, sometimes pass on em and once in a while run into a nice one but 100% of the time a pleasurable hunt. How enjoyable is a nice buck if you are surrounded by other hunters, kinda diminishes the overall experience. This whole having a platoon of glassers working for the guide so you can shoot a buck just does not appeal but maybe that's what others pay for. if I am lucky I might get another 5 or maybe 10 years out of the old legs but its been a great 50 year ride.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, GreyGhost85 said:

Do like some of the NR's do. They'll pool their money and send one guy on a guided OTC Arizona hunt one season and the next they all go back to the same spot with the knowledge that the guy learned the year prior. It has happened to a couple friends of mine that guide. Yuck

Daymn. Guides need to put gag order and non-compete agreements in contracts. Guides don’t make enough as it is. Ran into California plates yesterday. In a locals only spot. Times are a changing.

in other news NInilichik AK population is up to 820 people.sounds good from where I’m at.

This shows that the world is getting smaller.  It’s prof that a trophy animal in an area such as this is doomed.  It’s going down one way or the other with everyone making it their mission to get this one buck.  I’m not being critical of the guide or other hunters, because that’s what we all want, but if you think about the curse the deer has, well it sucks to be him.  

• Like 2

8 hours ago, trphyhntr said:

I missed one from 55 the other day. Couldn’t tell you what happened. 

My buddy missed one twice yesturday too. I am going back out alone tomorrow and Saturday!

17 hours ago, lancetkenyon said:

Mixed opinions on this subject and subsequent story.  

Anyone can fling an arrow (or bullet) and make a poor shot, then want to claim a big buck is "theirs", even though they can't find it again.  It is fair game for another hunter.

But, if I saw it happen, and watched where it went, I would be the guy that tried to get the hunter's attention and  "walk the hunter in" and helped get another attempt at the buck.  Not keep the location to myself of asked and then go after the buck when the hunter gave up.  

But...if I had been actively hunting the buck for days or weeks myself, and saw the event, but the buck was not mortally injured and escaped, it might be a different story.  You had your chance, but blew it.  My turn now.  

I have had my share of people trying to obviously beat me to an animal, or take a VERY unrealistic shot in an attempt to either get the animal before I could, or scare it away so I would not get an opportunity at it.  Believe me, in those cases, if they made a poor shot and could not locate the animal, and I could, I would be a lot less inclined to help them find it and just wait them out.

Call me an asshole if you want, but there are two sides to every story like this. 

Of course the first hunter wanted to find the buck he hit poorly and could not recover, but got irritated when someone would not help him locate an animal he was incapable of doing so himself.

Of course the guide wanted his paying client to get a crack at the buck, even if it was previously poorly hit.

I think Lance nailed it here. 

Bummer for your buddy. I'm sure he'd give a left nut to have that arrow back. 

23 hours ago, AZBearhunter said:

Not really mad, just an unfortunate situation, more frustrating than anything, it kind of hard to compete with an army of glassers.  Congrats to the hunter.

No Army of glassers in Duwane’s camp. They do one on one guided hunts. That assumption you had was incorrect. As for driving the roads and getting the call to come hunt a buck is also inaccurate and honestly would be fairly difficult during an archery hunt don’t you think? I could see if it was a rifle hunt but putting on a stalk to get within 80 yards is probably pretty difficult to dial up and have a Hunter just walk on over and kill it with a bow. It is unfortunate that your friend hit the buck and was unable to relocate and kill it but that’s a little unfair to make those assumptions especially when those assumptions are inaccurate. You are correct that many people chased this buck and honestly Duwane and his crew we’re just fortunate that day to harvest it. I do have firsthand knowledge that Duwane missed the buck with a client the Friday before your friend shot it. It’s unfortunate but hopefully changes your thought process a little bit about how it went down and the type of outfitter Duwane and his crew are. 

18 hours ago, grey curse said:

amazing to me that out of all the hunters on this site, no one would have helped the first hunter with the “booner” buck. Instead  watch the buck through glass, make a plan for the next day while the hunter is walking around blood trailing.   Really   Pathetic at best.  Go ahead and justify on here that it’s just how it is,  He made a bad shot,  BS.  I know many of people that would have tried to help the first hunter out.  Then if it didn’t work out for him, try and kill the buck the next day, but not brag about how good they are.  And really such a great hunt and hunter and guide because they finished off a BIG buck after it laid up all night, got stiff and didn’t want to move the next day.  Way to finish him off guys.  I’m impressed what 3k-5k can but these days.  

Would it change your opinion at all if the buck was killed 3 days later and wasn’t “finished off”... If the buck was not stiff and was in no way shape or form going to die from the first shot?

8 hours ago, Riesop said:

I sure wish they would ban it, and cameras, but like you said it's not really enforceable.  I just think hunting from the comfort of your truck isn't fair chase.  If that animal is on foot, so should I be.  Just my honest opinion but I guess I'm old school and like getting out to hike and walk.

I agree. I would also add that if I was an outfitter selling clients on hunting big bucks from a truck and then shooting them with a bow I might not be in business long. Isn’t that pretty tough to do? Find big bucks from a truck and then walk a client in on them from the same elevation? I’m being sarcastic but in all seriousness that is pretty difficult to do, and to make a business out of that I would imagine pretty tough as well. 

8 minutes ago, TomCatKiller said:

I agree. I would also add that if I was an outfitter selling clients on hunting big bucks from a truck and then shooting them with a bow I might not be in business long. Isn’t that pretty tough to do? Find big bucks from a truck and then walk a client in on them from the same elevation? I’m being sarcastic but in all seriousness that is pretty difficult to do, and to make a business out of that I would imagine pretty tough as well. 

I don’t think you make a business specifically out that but you certainly take those opportunities when you get them. 

1 hour ago, TomCatKiller said:

Would it change your opinion at all if the buck was killed 3 days later and wasn’t “finished off”... If the buck was not stiff and was in no way shape or form going to die from the first shot?

Yes and no.   No in the fact that if the guide did know where the wounded buck was and did not offer the information to the shooter to try and finish the buck off(in the same day),that is wrong in my opinion.   The fact that the client killed three days later and it was not a fatal 1st shot then yes, the client and guide should be proud for finishing the wounded buck off.  

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, grey curse said:

Yes and no.   No in the fact that if the guide did know where the wounded buck was and did not offer the information to the shooter to try and finish the buck off(in the same day),that is wrong in my opinion.   The fact that the client killed three days later and it was not a fatal 1st shot then yes, the client and guide should be proud for finishing the wounded buck off.  

That’s Fair 👌🏽