Outdoor Writer

Duwane's Hunter Killed a Monster

2 hours ago, grey curse said:

Yes and no.   No in the fact that if the guide did know where the wounded buck was and did not offer the information to the shooter to try and finish the buck off(in the same day),that is wrong in my opinion.   The fact that the client killed three days later and it was not a fatal 1st shot then yes, the client and guide should be proud for finishing the wounded buck off.  

Not sure you can call it “finishing off” when’s buck escaped and survived for 3 days and is shown on video with no visible wounds.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, TomCatKiller said:

No Army of glassers in Duwane’s camp. They do one on one guided hunts. That assumption you had was incorrect. As for driving the roads and getting the call to come hunt a buck is also inaccurate and honestly would be fairly difficult during an archery hunt don’t you think? I could see if it was a rifle hunt but putting on a stalk to get within 80 yards is probably pretty difficult to dial up and have a Hunter just walk on over and kill it with a bow. It is unfortunate that your friend hit the buck and was unable to relocate and kill it but that’s a little unfair to make those assumptions especially when those assumptions are inaccurate. You are correct that many people chased this buck and honestly Duwane and his crew we’re just fortunate that day to harvest it. I do have firsthand knowledge that Duwane missed the buck with a client the Friday before your friend shot it. It’s unfortunate but hopefully changes your thought process a little bit about how it went down and the type of outfitter Duwane and his crew are. 

I also don't know Duwane to have a bunch of glasser's all over for one animal (or blocking roads). I do know Brett the guide sometimes brings his son on hunts and Duwanes son in law and one of the other camp regulars live in tucson so maybe one of them went out just for the heck of it. But an army of guys... Not Duwanes M.O. at all.

I'm just glad I don't live in a big city and can get away from people.  Competing with 10 other hunters all targeting one buck does not sound fun at all.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Flatlander said:

Not sure you can call it “finishing off” when’s buck escaped and survived for 3 days and is shown on video with no visible wounds.

Agreed.  Pour word choice.  “Took down” 

55 minutes ago, grey curse said:

Agreed.  Pour word choice.  “Took down” 

How about... killed.

• Like 2

Haha!  I just watched the video....are you sure that buck wasn't killed 3 days before and they finally found it?  That thing is STIFF!!!  Holding it's own head up, they have to muscle it around to turn the head.....

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, lancetkenyon said:

Haha!  I just watched the video....are you sure that buck wasn't killed 3 days before and they finally found it?  That thing is STIFF!!!  Holding it's own head up, they have to muscle it around to turn the head.....

That video was filmed the next morning, it got late on the hunters the night before so they recovered it the next morning. That would explain the stiffness. 

52 minutes ago, TomCatKiller said:

I was giving some scenarios on the original shot and what the definition of hurt is and just decided it was overkill. Had no idea how to delete it once I wrote it. 

So how far was the shot that wounded the deer in the arse?

8 hours ago, Flatlander said:

So how far was the shot that wounded the deer in the arse?

Too far apparently.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, trphyhntr said:

Definitely don’t get ragging on the OG hunter who I’m sure was sick he wounded it. Do you guys even archery hunt? 

Who is ragging on him?

Just now, Flatlander said:

Who is ragging on him?

Poster above me said it was too far responding to you. Why are you digging to find out the range? Let the man live, he wounded a huge buck and someone else got it.

Has anyone checked on this man? He’s probably already got a ladder and rope set up some where 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, trphyhntr said:

Poster above me said it was too far responding to you. Why are you digging to find out the range? Let the man live, he wounded a huge buck and someone else got it.

Has anyone checked on this man? He’s probably already got a ladder and rope set up some where 

Lance had a fair point. Apparently this shot was beyond his capabilities. Heaven knows I have been there.

But since his buddies decided to come on here and put the world on blast for not helping him recover a buck that he didn’t kill. I thought it fair to ask more about the circumstances of the wounding. He opened that box.

• Like 2