Elkhunter1

Trail camera rule changes!

1 hour ago, HuntHarder said:

Community policing.  They can't catch every poacher either, but you are ok with that law, or should we eliminate it because they can't 100% enforce it?

Gunna be tough to prove they were hunting in a spot they had a camera. Running cameras will still be legal after this passes. Good luck knowing who's camera is who's and who is using that info for the take of game. Exactly why people smearing peanut butter or saying they will take cameras down is garbage. It could be Joe Wildlife Watcher 's camera from Scottsdale. Now if they post a trail cam picture they are are another level of dumb and deserve to be caught. 

• Like 1

Time will tell, these same arguments about unenforceable, were spouted when they were gonna ban baiting.  All these big bad boys who said. "They can't enforce it, im still gonna do it."  Pretty funny if you ask me.  The amount of corn piles I've found in the desert or forrest has declined by about 99%.  Go figure....

• Like 2

3 hours ago, HuntHarder said:

Community policing.  They can't catch every poacher either, but you are ok with that law, or should we eliminate it because they can't 100% enforce it?

I don't believe there is "real" science behind their points that they violate "fair chase" or the new reason " the use of cameras interups the animal's routines any more than our scouting and checking the spots. I am out most every weekend either checking cameras or scouting other areas.

On 1/15/2021 at 4:37 PM, HuntHarder said:

Just thinking more like, guys incriminate themselves all the time.  They can't resist the urge to post pictures online or tell their buddies about their trail cam pics.  

As long as you don't post a kill and trail cam pic. Nothing wrong with posting trail cam pics and video. Lots of people enjoy them

• Like 3

On 1/15/2021 at 8:38 PM, AZLance said:

my wife will be putting a lot of cams out this year...

Pics of wife internet addy please ;)

pay for view ?

• Like 1

I think this is like an obamacare type law. Designed to  fail so that socialized medicine can be implemented.  

This disaster is intentionally vague and made to cause problems so that the "fine, we will just ban them all" position will be the "common sense" solution.  

Dont forget what kind of people have been infiltrating  Az govt lately.  

• Like 1

Logo

GAME AND FISH NEWS

Jan. 28, 2021
Arizona Game and Fish Department

Comment period on proposed rule amendment to regulate the use of trail cameras ends Feb. 1

PHOENIX — Constituents are reminded that the comment period for the Arizona Game and Fish Commission proposal to amend rules within Article 3, Taking and Handling of Wildlife, to regulate the use of trail cameras for the purpose of taking or aiding in the take of wildlife, ends Monday, Feb. 1.

Public comments about the proposed rulemaking can be submitted through Feb. 1, 2021, via either:
  • Email: rulemaking@azgfd.gov
  • U.S. Mail: Arizona Game and Fish Department, Attn: Celeste Cook, Rules and Policy Manager, 5000 W. Carefree Hwy., Phoenix, AZ 85086.

More information about the proposed rule is HERE and also posted at https://www.azgfd.com/Agency/Commission/commissioncorner/.

The final rule will be presented to the five-member commission for consideration at the March 19, 2021 commission meeting.

To track the progress of this rule, view the regulatory agenda and all previous Five-Year Review Reports, and to learn about any other agency rulemaking matters, visit https://www.azgfd.com/agency/rulemaking/.

Trail cameras: Information on proposed rulemaking to prohibit their use for the take of wildlife

● At its Dec. 4, 2020 meeting, the Arizona Game and Fish Commission voted unanimously (5-0) to open the proposed rulemaking and begin the public process for potential future regulation of passive trail/game cameras used for the take of wildlife. Live action cameras were previously banned for the take of wildlife in 2018. [R12-4-303(A)(5)]

● The proposed language forwarded for comment by the Commission would simply treat both live action and passive trail/game cameras the same by banning trail/game cameras for the use of take.

● The public process includes an opportunity for the public to comment. Comments are encouraged and will be accepted by email at rulemaking@azgfd.gov from Jan. 1, 2021 through Feb. 1, 2021. See last page for other methods of submitting comment.

● The proposed language reads: “A person shall not use a trail camera, or images from a trail camera, for the purpose of taking or aiding in the take of wildlife, or locating wildlife for the purpose of taking or aiding in the take of wildlife.”

● If approved, trail cameras used for research, general photography, cattle operations or any other reason other than the take of wildlife would remain legal.

● “Take” means pursuing, shooting, hunting, fishing, trapping, killing, capturing, snaring or netting wildlife or placing or using any net or other device or trap in a manner that may result in capturing or killing wildlife.

● “Trail camera” means an unmanned device used to capture images, video, or location data of wildlife.

● The Commission is considering regulating trail cameras as a result of public concerns:

○ Concerns over the use of trail cameras as it relates to Fair Chase. Commission Policy on Fair Chase includes: “…new or evolving technologies and practices that provide hunters or anglers with an improper or unfair advantage in the pursuit and taking of wildlife, or may create a public perception of an improper or unfair advantage…” This applies to areas where water is primarily point source water and game cannot escape detection.

○ Concerns that the use of trail cameras has become an increasing source of conflict between and amongst hunters, including the sense of ownership over a water source and hunting area.

○ Concerns that frequent visits to set/check trail cameras are creating a significant disturbance to wildlife during extended dry periods of the year.

○ Concerns among some livestock operators that frequent visits to set/check trail cameras are negatively affecting livestock operations.

○ Concerns over the potential biological effects of setting/checking trail cameras on point source waters, especially during the ongoing drought.

○ Concerns stemming from photos being taken of other people in the field by trail cameras.

○ Complaints about the high numbers of trail cameras on the landscape and water sources, and concerns over the high number of trail cameras that may be on the landscape in the future as the population in Arizona continues to grow rapidly, technology continues to improve, prices go down, and availability increases.

○ Complaints about damage to and theft of trail cameras.

● There is now potential monetization of game cameras to include services to place, monitor, check and sell camera images. If those services increase, the numbers of cameras and their use for take could dramatically increase.

● Public concerns about trail cameras have also been raised with the State Legislature. Legislation has previously been introduced that has so far not advanced because the Commission maintains the authority to examine this issue through rulemaking. At the request of the Commission, it was pulled.

● The Commission and Department used the research and recommendations presented by the 2018 Article 3 Rule Review Team to develop the proposed language regulating the use of trail cameras. Alternatives considered in 2018 included:

○ No action or no restrictions on use.

○ Prohibit live-action cameras (currently in effect).

○ ¼ mile restriction around water sources.

○ Species specific (e.g. prohibit for take of deer and elk, big game).

○ Specific units or zones (North/South).

○ Camera registration and label system.

○ Camera season (open and closed dates).

○ Complete ban on use (live-action and passive cameras)

● The Commission will hear and vote on final rulemaking at the March 19, 2021 Commission meeting.

● Any change to the current trail camera rule will not go into effect prior to January 1, 2022.

● See the Notice of Proposed Rulemaking language (also posted at https://www.azgfd.com/Agency/Rulemaking/ (scroll down to Article 3 Taking and Handling of Wildlife Notice of Proposed Rulemaking)

● Once the Notice of Proposed Rulemaking is published, it will open a comment period that will run from Jan. 1, 2021 through Feb. 1, 2021. Comment can be submitted through: Email : rulemaking@azgfd.gov U.S. Mail: Arizona Game and Fish Department, Attn.: Celeste Cook, Rules and Policy Manager, 5000 W. Carefree Hwy., Phoenix, Arizona 85086.

Here is what I sent AZGFD.

Dear AZGFD,

First of all, thank you for all you do.  In AZ we have a great Game and Fish Department and I appreciate all of you very much.

I am not sure what problem you are trying to solve by banning or restricting cameras.  If hunters and guides are not checking cameras, they are actually likely to visit a specific water hole or travel corridor even more often.  I don't think "checking cameras disturbs game" is a valid argument against trail cameras.

Hunting public land today is big money guides vs. the self guided.  I can't compete on an Elk hunt with someone who will send $XX,XXX on a guide to plant YY cameras and hire a team to cruise the entire unit for months preseason to find that perfect animal.  If you take away hunting cameras, the big money will compensate with more boots on the ground.  I can't do that.  My couple of cameras out for a few of weeks before the season let me know where game is and isn't; making me much more effective than I would be otherwise.  If you take away my low budget self guided hunter's ability to use cameras, I think I will be hurt much more than the big money guides.  if you are trying to equal the field, I think banning cameras does the opposite.  Big money always finds a way.

If people are getting cameras stolen, that is an ethics issue that a new law will not solve.  If cameras have to be 1/4 from a tank or restricted to a season limit, who polices that?  If not identified to the owner do AZGF officers just cut them down and sell them on ebay?  If registered, where do the resources (time and money) come from to track down and fine the camera violator?

In my opinion, the destruction caused by quads, side by sides and other "off hi-way" vehicles along with access to locked in public property is a much bigger issue than cameras in the woods.
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, HuntHarder said:

Can't wait until it's open camera season.  Ebay is gonna be filled with Az trail cameras.

So, you're going to turn into Barney Fife?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, HuntHarder said:

It's gonna be like Easter egg hunting or Shed hunting.  

I see. You HuntHarder for cameras, easter eggs and sheds.