Sign in to follow this  
savagman

Italian Dove Sausage

I made italian sausage this week using a recipe from Arizona Wildlife Views.  It was created by AZGFD small game biologist Jonathan O'dell and is pehaps the best game recipe I have ever followed.  The taste and texture is spot on.  My wife and kids love this recipe.  My wife even confided that she never really cared for any other italian sausage I have made.  I agree that the right fat content and texture has eluded me.  Previous efforts have turned out just ok.  This recipe truly blew my mind it is so good.  I love hunting dove and sometimes struggle to keep up with the bounty.  Not anymore....

1.6 lbs boneless dove meat

.4 lbs salt pork

1tsp fresh ground black pepper

2 tsp dried parsley

1.5 tsp dried italian seasoning

1 tsp garlic powder

1/4 tsp dried red pepper flakes ( I used 1/2 tsp - still not hot) 

3/4 tsp crushed dried fennel seeds ( I added additional 1/4 tsp whole fennel as my jar was a little old)

1/2 tsp smoked paprika ( I used regular as I did not have smoked)

1 tsp minced dried onion

2 tsp kosher salt

Freeze dove and cubed salt pork - chill grinder parts, bowl, etc.  I followed directions and ground 1/2 using medium grinder plate and 1/2 using fine plate.  Texture is just right this way.

Sprinkle spice mix over ground meat evenly and mix with your hands. ( I used a fork to save my hands from the cold).  Dont overwork the meat mixture.  

I formed cocktail weenie size samples and fried in a skillet.  Yummy!!!!

Package and freeze for later use or cook fresh and serve.  

Addmittely I was skeptical of dove sausage but this truly blew me away.  Worth the effort.

• Like 2

Thanks for posting. I'll have to give this a shot. 1.6# of dove meat is a bunch, but I think I have decent sized amount buried in the freezer. Typically, I'll mince the meat and put it in some cornbread stuffing (in substitution of liver) around the holidays and it works pretty well. However, the recipe you posted looks to be also a good use of the ole flying rats.