Sign in to follow this  
Garryett

First Coues Buck

Well it didn’t take long. First day out targeting a Coues buck and I got it done at about 3:30 in the afternoon. 60 yard shot and he was done quick! Definitely a great first archery Coues!

73046FBA-F849-4B88-8DF6-2BA7815B9229.jpeg

A02E97F6-ECF2-4D44-8947-3F33F9388F8D.jpeg

50C19F43-53F4-4441-BC91-37DA3F74D19F.jpeg

• Like 19

Excellent job - that's no easy feat! I'd love to hear the story and how it all came together. Congrats!

1 hour ago, Coach said:

Excellent job - that's no easy feat! I'd love to hear the story and how it all came together. Congrats!

Well I came out planning on sitting this water all day for 3 days since my desert spot was over run by hunters this year. Had seen Coues in this area before and figured it would probably be good due to the drought. It was 25 degrees on Wednesday morning nice and chilly! Had 2 Coues does come in around noon, drank and left. 

Around 330 I looked up and saw the buck coming straight to me. I was worried that I wouldn’t get a shot because he was coming in straight on but, right when he started to drink he turned quartering towards me. I ranged him at 60,drew back and let it fly. Hit sounded good but I didn’t see the arrow hit. The buck ran of with his tail tucked and disappeared from my view after about 60yards.  I looked with my binos and saw my arrow was coated in pink blood.

Waited an hour and went looking. Picked up some drops of blood near the shot but stopped for a bit. After going about 60 yards the blood picked up. I then saw something white behind a juniper and it was him! Probably only went 80 yards. The shot was perfect right behind the shoulder with the exit coming through the second to last rib. The Sevr did its job.

Gutted him and loaded him up in the Kifaru. The pack out wasn’t bad just under a mile. 

• Like 6