Sign in to follow this  
TwoGuns

It’s complicated

After 40+ years as an AZ resident I recently moved out of state. Before I left I purchased a lifetime license. I now have a buddy I want to apply with for the elk hunt next fall. The question is what happens if we apply on the same app? Me with my lifetime license and him as out of state? I sort of assume we would both have to be in the out of state pool. Wondering if this is right, and if there are any other options I’m missing.

With a lifetime license you are not subject to the 10% non res cap.  Therefore you are fine to put in together.  

21 minutes ago, CatfishKev said:

With a lifetime license you are not subject to the 10% non res cap.  Therefore you are fine to put in together.  

Careful. His partner without the LT license still is subject to the 10% cap. Now, I'm going to GUESS here: IF the 10% cap has already been filled if & when their permit # comes up, the entire app will be rejected. Why? I don't believe they would issue a permit to one applicant & not the other. 

Sooo...the best bet is to make a call to AGFD and find out for sure. 

P.S. : I assume the OP also knows that any BPs he has will be halved with his partner. 

9 minutes ago, Outdoor Writer said:

Careful. His partner without the LT license still is subject to the 10% cap. Now, I'm going to GUESS here: IF the 10% cap has already been filled if & when their permit # comes up, the entire app will be rejected. Why? I don't believe they would issue a permit to one applicant & not the other. 

Oops, I incorrectly thought his buddy was from AZ. 

24 minutes ago, CatfishKev said:

I thought the same...and yeah if his buddy is non-res it’s treated just like a resident and non-res putting in together. I believe OW is correct and they both wouldn’t draw when their # came up if the non-res cap had been met. 

2 hours ago, CatfishKev said:

This section below in red is likely to apply. 

R12-4-104

I. All members of a group shall apply for the same hunt
numbers and in the same order of preference.
1. No more than four persons may apply as a group.

2. The Department shall not issue a hunt permit-tag to
any group member unless sufficient hunt permit-tags
are available for all group members.

On 1/16/2021 at 11:24 AM, Outdoor Writer said:

P.S. : I assume the OP also knows that any BPs he has will be halved with his partner. 

Thanks for this info. I think the benefit to my LT license would be lost if we put in together I suppose. I’m not too worried on the bonus point issue since my buddy has 2 points also.

I’ll call G&F for clarification. 

Glad to help. I was simply intepreting the rule as I understand it. Do call to get it from the horse's mouth, so to speak. As to the BPs, you didn't mention how many you had, so I didn't know if it would be an issue or not.