codyhuntsaz

WTB Ford F-150 4x4 Supercrew

Was looking for a Toyota Sequoia, but......I’m a truck guy! 

looking for a 2011-2014 5.0 V8 or a 3.5 Ecoboost. Trying to stay away from the 5.4 V8. Any mechanics in here favor one motor over the other? Anyone that has owned one or both have an opinion? Let me know, thanks! 

Love my eco boost. I can’t remember which Generation’s were which years, but you should be good. The 5.0 is kind of a dog compared to the egoboost if you ask me. And the tow capacity is much higher for the eb.

• Like 1

I’ve had a 12,14,17,19 all 3.5 ecoboost and loved all of them.  Took them each to 95,000 and traded.  Had a few issues with the first one and heard the 11’s were trouble.  I would look into the latest model as you can afford.  They are unlike any other gas engine on the market.  Tons of low end torque.  Terrible mileage when working hard but so is everything I guess. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Flatlander said:

Love my eco boost. I can’t remember which Generation’s were which years, but you should be good. The 5.0 is kind of a dog compared to the egoboost if you ask me. And the tow capacity is much higher for the eb.

11-15 is gen 1. The 5.0 seems easier to work on and 2 less turbos to worry about, was my thinking. 

I had the 2011 5.0 as my work truck.  It was stripped down but was the smoothest riding truck I’ve ever been in.  It was like a Cadillac.  Nothing since has come close.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, yotebuster said:

I’ve had a 12,14,17,19 all 3.5 ecoboost and loved all of them.  Took them each to 95,000 and traded.  Had a few issues with the first one and heard the 11’s were trouble.  I would look into the latest model as you can afford.  They are unlike any other gas engine on the market.  Tons of low end torque.  Terrible mileage when working hard but so is everything I guess. 

I think a 13 with about 135k is what’s in my price range (paying cash). They run about 20k out the door at a dealer. Would you be afraid of those miles on that motor? 

3 minutes ago, Saguaro said:

I had the 2011 5.0 as my work truck.  It was stripped down but was the smoothest riding truck I’ve ever been in.  It was like a Cadillac.  Nothing since has come close.

How many miles did you rack up on that truck? 

5 minutes ago, codyhuntsaz said:

I think a 13 with about 135k is what’s in my price range (paying cash). They run about 20k out the door at a dealer. Would you be afraid of those miles on that motor? 

I can’t speak from experience on a high mileage rig.  That seems expensive to me though.  I usually get between $18k-21k for mine on trade with 90-100k miles on them.  I realize they gotta Mark em up a bit to make money but I woulda thought 130k woulda been in mid teens?

1 minute ago, codyhuntsaz said:

How many miles did you rack up on that truck? 

They got me another one in 2016, a 2017 GMC with a v6.  We still have the 2011 f150 and it gets driven from time to time.  Not sure of the miles.  I think it has about 180,000.  All city miles.  It had around 80,000 hassle free miles when they got me a new one.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, codyhuntsaz said:

Check with @ctracingraptor. He is a tech  for a Ford dealer. He would know.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, yotebuster said:

I can’t speak from experience on a high mileage rig.  That seems expensive to me though.  I usually get between $18k-21k for mine on trade with 90-100k miles on them.  I realize they gotta Mark em up a bit to make money but I woulda thought 130k woulda been in mid teens?

I’ve looked at 6 or so and a ‘13 with 130k is around 16,900-18k.....putting the out the door around 20k after tax and all that BS. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, yotebuster said:

Yeah but “out the door” like he said on a 20k truck would include 1700 in taxes though and probably a 300 license plate, also whatever reconditioning the truck needed. Prices are ridiculous right now for trucks, look at the $20k 11 year old Tacoma in the other thread, and people sound excited about it. New normal?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, trphyhntr said:

Yeah but “out the door” like he said on a 20k truck would include 1700 in taxes though and probably a 300 license plate, also whatever reconditioning the truck needed. Prices are ridiculous right now for trucks, look at the $20k 11 year old Tacoma in the other thread, and people sound excited about it. New normal?

Ya that sucks. 

last feb I bought a 2016 f150 lariat 3.5eb 6.5ft bed 60k miles with a matching camper for 25k out the door. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, trphyhntr said:

Good point.  Missed that part.  I always overlook the extra stuff and am shocked when I see the final price. 

• Like 1