Sign in to follow this  
mobow213

Smuggling hides

This seems pretty stupid thing to do. I think the hunters where lucky to get just a 300 slap on the wrist. Pretty sure they could of been charged with smuggling goods which is 5 years and 10 grand. Also guess cbp could seize their trucks. Reading the links show they tried hiding the hides in their truck.

4 hours ago, trphyhntr said:

Saw one the other day they busted someone bringing homemade sausages from Norway or some country like that. Thought that was kinda messed up

Sure it wasn't whale sausage? 

4 hours ago, trphyhntr said:

Saw one the other day they busted someone bringing homemade sausages from Norway or some country like that. Thought that was kinda messed up

Yeah, No Can Do. Has to be commercially labeld with country of origin, type of meat even then it most likely will not be allowed.

3 hours ago, PRDATR said:

Yeah, No Can Do. Has to be commercially labeld with country of origin, type of meat even then it most likely will not be allowed.

was probably delicious sausage though

28 minutes ago, CatfishKev said:

So whats the correct procedure ro bring hides across?

You have multiple forms US wildlife and arival forms. You have to have it filled out with importer and exporter (usually the hunter and the outfitter ) They check for no hide, or flesh on bone and no ticks on the hide. After that they allow you to cross with them. Some years we spend hours upon hours picking ticks and they still find some and other times we spend only a couple hours and they do a quick search and don't find much and let you take them. Every year and every agent is different. 

I thought hides had to be frozen solid?  I had some customs agent threaten to take my hide cause she could "move the ears' so they werent frozen solid.  And of course those ticks always jump off of  live animals as they cross in and out  over the border, cause  there's no way Mexican ticks  can come here or American ticks can go there naturally. .  Goofy AF in my book.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, CatfishKev said:

So whats the correct procedure ro bring hides across?

Unless something has changed, they must be frozen solid to avoid the tick deal and be accompanied by the proper paperwork. 

On 1/17/2021 at 8:23 PM, trphyhntr said:

was probably delicious sausage though

We had some jerky confiscated by the feds coming back from Canada one year.  It said goose jerky on the bag (which it was). The USFWS guy tried to say we were over our limit on geese as we had our possession limit with us.   Also threatened to write us up because the jerky didn’t have a wing on it.  No joke.  The USFWS is such a mafia.  We quite going up there to bird hunt because of them.  

3 hours ago, NOTAGS said:

I thought hides had to be frozen solid?  I had some customs agent threaten to take my hide cause she could "move the ears' so they werent frozen solid.  And of course those ticks always jump off of  live animals as they cross in and out  over the border, cause  there's no way Mexican ticks  can come here or American ticks can go there naturally. .  Goofy AF in my book.

Have to be frozen for 24 hours but thawed enough at the border they can check for ticks.

• Like 1

Yes, they have to be frozen for 24 hours and then thawed out so they can inspect them.  I have had years where they didn't check them at all and didn't care and then other years they searched until they found a tick.  I don't care if you spend 10 hours cleaning them they will find one.  The worst was a couple years ago when the government was on strike.  I spent a couple hours cleaning ticks and finally gave up and said screw it.  I got to the border and because of the strike it was border patrol checking them.  They would shake the hide and if only a couple ticks fell off they would say ok good to go.

I see why people try to smuggle them. Sometimes it seems impossible to get them across the border. We crossed today with 9 capes. Ended up getting to keep 3. Kind of sucks spending days going through capes only to get them seized at the border. 

Brian, I was with you when the government was on strike.  Made me mad that I didn't bring the cape across. How did you guys do this year? Anything big?

8 hours ago, briant_az said:

I see why people try to smuggle them. Sometimes it seems impossible to get them across the border. We crossed today with 9 capes. Ended up getting to keep 3. Kind of sucks spending days going through capes only to get them seized at the border. 

Ridiculous.