Sign in to follow this  
Rag Horn

7mm mag reload questions

Alright so here is the deal. I am sitting on some 154 grain inter bond bullets, IMR 7828 SSC powder and Cci Magnum primers. I got enough stuff to load about 100 rounds. I want to load up some rounds for my 7mm rem mag. 

Far from ideal “work up a load” conditions a seasoned reloader would recommend I know. I’m already married to bullets, powder and primers. However that is the situation I find myself at the moment. 

Any advice on how many grains of powder and what that muzzle velocity is? 

I’ve read up on Hornady website and see their recommendation. But looking for some real life experience. 

Thanks. 

PS - if you read this and think “if you are asking these kinds of questions you probably have no business reloading” rest assured you are probably right. 

Should take about 30-50 loads to do full load development.  That will get you 50-70 loaded finished rounds.  

Do it right.

• Like 2

No thats how you work up a load, one bullet one powder. you make about 15 of each in different grain increments. use 3-5 for 100 yards then 3-5 for 200 yards etc etc.

see what groups the best.  I'd start in 1 gran increments. get your results then maybe try .5 grain between your best groups and see if it improves.

if you dont get what you want then grab another bullet same powder, then change powders. guys that have different powders and bullets will load the same thing with there different powders and bullets and do the same. go out and shoot all day. then be close to having a load working perfectly.

Remember just becauses one gun shoots good with xxx load doesnt mean someone elses rifle will shoot the same group with same load.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Rag Horn said:

if you read this and think “if you are asking these kinds of questions you probably have no business reloading” rest assured you are probably right. 

Rely only on published data from reliable sources ie; powder an bullet manufacturers first of all !!!! Second if that's the powder you have pick a starting load, most data starts 10% or more from max loads, don't reduce more especially with slow powders. take your time, load a few (5 ish) in 1 grain or so increments (in a case that big with slow powder .5 gr increments will be hard to tell much, a primer change will be lots more evident). go shoot, check accuracy, its more important than jet wash (fps...)

Third most loading manuals have a section in the front that details the process, good stuff there !

Every one has to start somewhere, have fun, be smart.

• Like 2

Finding what your barrel likes to eat is key.  You'll have to decide if you want to chase good groups, speed and or both.  When I was working up the load for my 7MM Tikka T3 24" Stainless, my goal was a load that gave me repeatable tight groups for hunting.  I kept good notes and took lots of pictures.  When I felt like I was getting close, the only change I made was switching to Winchester brass, to find my money load.  I'm by far no expert, it just so happened that I had once shot brass laying around from when I was doing my barrel break in.  Just lucky I guess, for once.  

Have fun, be safe, be smart and take good notes.  Also-Lance and 10Turkeys from this forum were a big help to me along the way.

1971880501_DialedinforNMHunt201863_0g.jpg.04cc2f035ba037b1879928008a65a201.jpg1204979211_IMR782863.0MoneyLoadCalipers.jpg.a5d31d19383540179075ff7b3b707583.jpg

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Lazy-H98 said:

Finding what your barrel likes to eat is key.  You'll have to decide if you want to chase good groups, speed and or both.  When I was working up the load for my 7MM Tikka T3 24" Stainless, my goal was a load that gave me repeatable tight groups for hunting.  I kept good notes and took lots of pictures.  When I felt like I was getting close, the only change I made was switching to Winchester brass, to find my money load.  I'm by far no expert, it just so happened that I had once shot brass laying around from when I was doing my barrel break in.  Just lucky I guess, for once.  

Have fun, be safe, be smart and take good notes.  Also-Lance and 10Turkeys from this forum were a big help to me along the way.

1971880501_DialedinforNMHunt201863_0g.jpg.04cc2f035ba037b1879928008a65a201.jpg1204979211_IMR782863.0MoneyLoadCalipers.jpg.a5d31d19383540179075ff7b3b707583.jpg

Interesting. I ended up at almost the identical load(63 gr IMR 7828) but with 162 ELDx's, 25 mils off the lands.  Need to re-verify and do some fine tuning with seating depth, but I'm definitely close.  Not winning any speed records, but SD below 8, and 5 shot group under an inch for a factory Tikka. 

For the original question- Some factory guns are real shooters but most aren't.   With your numbers, if you can get close to an inch, repeated twice with two 5 shot groups, you'd be in pretty good shape.  If you're way off from that, you'll need to invest more time and money, or consider other powder/bullets.

Good luck, and take your time and be safe.

Image-1.jpg

Image-1(1).jpg

• Like 1

John O-

Factory Tikka's will shoot.  The only upgrade I did was fit it with a lil bastard brake.  With my 160gr Accubonds, I'm sitting .076" off the lands.  The Accubond results are just flat out lethal.  I may have to keep the 162gr ELD's in mind, though.