Sign in to follow this  
trphyhntr

Reloading question

25 minutes ago, trphyhntr said:

Yeah I only shoot about 4 bullets a year and probably won’t need any till October. But dang I got like 1000 brass. 

If you have enough ammo until October and for your hunts in the fall I’d just sell the brass. If you were wanting to reload something you’d be shooting all the time between now and then it might be different...

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, lancetkenyon said:

Do you already have a recipe?  Or starting from scratch?  

Is it possible to just load some sort of factory specs cuz I’m not trynna break any records with it 1” groups 

Factory ammo uses proprietary powder, not available to the public.  You could probably get close to factory performance however with a bit of reloading knowledge in the cartridge.  I assume you mean 7RM when you say "7mm".  Bullets could be available, depends on what your factory load is.

3 minutes ago, lancetkenyon said:

Factory ammo uses proprietary powder, not available to the public.  You could probably get close to factory performance however with a bit of reloading knowledge in the cartridge.  I assume you mean 7RM when you say "7mm".  Bullets could be available, depends on what your factory load is.

Oh I see, that’s wild. 

9 minutes ago, lancetkenyon said:

Lance, what's your opinion on those load development companies? They seem like a good alternative for soone that would enjoy the shooting part of it but doesn't want to by all the stuff to do it themselves or take the time.  Is there one you would recommend?

7 minutes ago, CatfishKev said:

Lance, what's your opinion on those load development companies? They seem like a good alternative for soone that would enjoy the shooting part of it but doesn't want to by all the stuff to do it themselves or take the time.  Is there one you would recommend?

If you want to get the best out of your rifle, and want to shoot something that is not available in a factory loaded ammo (like Hammers, Cutting Edge, Blackjacks, or some of the other better bullets) but don't have the time, knowledge, or equipment to do your own load development, I think they are a viable option.   They are not cheap, but you should get the best ammo, for your rifle, that can be had.  It is not for everyone.  If MOA is good enough for your style of hunting, it might be a waste of money.  If you only shoot to 300 yards, again, probably a waste of money.

Probably the biggest benefit of custom loaded vs factory ammo is consistency.   I have seen factory ammo with 120fps MV variations in a single box.  At 300 yards, probably doesn't make much difference.  But at 800, it definitely does.

The MAIN factory in accuracy is the shooter.  A quarter minute rifle in the hands of a 2 MOA shooter becomes a 2 MOA rifle. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, lancetkenyon said:

The MAIN factor in accuracy is the shooter.  A quarter minute rifle in the hands of a 2 MOA shooter becomes a 2 MOA rifle. 

Truth be told and 7 out of 10 shooters fall into this category.

• Like 2

Unless you know you will never reload it or need the money, I would hang on to the brass.  Doesn't cost anything to keep and takes up little space, but I'm a brass hoarder..

• Like 3

16 hours ago, trphyhntr said:

Yeah I only shoot about 4 bullets a year and probably won’t need any till October. But dang I got like 1000 brass. 

Then reloading isn't for you.....unless you want to drive tacks at 1000 yards.   But then you would shoot more than 4 bullets a year to obtain that type of accuracy.  

1 minute ago, recurveman said:

Then reloading isn't for you.....unless you want to drive tacks at 1000 yards.   But then you would shoot more than 4 bullets a year to obtain that type of accuracy.  

I’m not looking into getting into reloading myself. I’m looking to have some place or someone to reload some of the brass that I have. Not looking for new hobbies 

3 minutes ago, recurveman said:

Hey chicken little......  The sky isn't falling.    Everything will be fine.    

There was guys on here who didn’t have ammo for their hunts this year. Tell them that 

I’m not desperate for ammo, you’re twisting my thread. I was just wondering if it’s possible to get brass reloaded somewhere If I acquired all the rest of the stuff. 

• Like 1