apache12

Help me buy a tripod with panhead

Ok so I’ve owned a collection of average tripods over my years and this year the company I slave for allowed me to sell my vacation time  of which I don’t take enough of.  Anyway I got a little cheese in the pocket to spend.  So I would like recommendations on a tripod set up.  I’m a hunter who glasses and hikes so I’d like light but stable setup for my 15x56 binos. No spotter yet but may grab that vortex viper 11x33 one day    Anyway I don’t normally stand and glass but if there was a set up that extended that tall and made sense I’d consider.    Then Id like a panhead that has an arm on it that I can rotate up and use as a shooting rest if I’m seated   
so I’d like as light as I can get with a buttery smooth panhead and tripod legs that are easy to adjust and stay locked in and don’t slip    I know it’s a “I want what may not exist” post but this is a site full of wise western hunters so I’m open to your opinions.  Budget under $1000. Preferable $700 range but will spend more   

• Like 1

Good news!For those size optics, there’s no reason to spend more then $3-400 MAX for a great tripod/head combo. Get some legs like pro master xc325c (or 525c) or slik 634(or similar models with slightly different specs), and top is with something like a benro s2, Sirui va-5, or pro master sphc20 head.

any combination of the above will give you a more then capable, lightweight set up with a solid pan head that you can stand behind unless you’re very tall.

I use a pro master xc325c topped with a benro s2 with outdoorsmans bino adapter and I’m in it for about $350 total. Also I’m 6’3” and can stand and glass, for your reference. 
take the money you save and buy that little spotter!

I like my Manfrotto 290 (and 290 XTRA) carbon fiber tripods.  Light and sturdy.  Manfrotto 700RC2 panhead is small, light, and works well.  I like that when fully released, there is very little to no friction.  I run my 15x56s on it all day long.  

Happy to help. No need to spend anywhere near that amount. The best compact tripod , by far,with the best fluid head in its class is the Sirui T024SKVA5. Carbon fiber, arca swiss head with a handle that can adjust to any angle. 8 layers of carbon will absorb vibration on windy days. Normally $299.90, members here can call in and get it for $249.99. It folds to a little over 15" and weighs 3lbs with the head.

I am in today until 4:00, tomorrow from 7-6

Happy to answer any questions you may have.

Joel

Camera Land

516-217-1000

Thank you all for the suggestions. Nice ideas and prices 

On 1/21/2021 at 5:58 AM, cameraland said:

Happy to help. No need to spend anywhere near that amount. The best compact tripod , by far,with the best fluid head in its class is the Sirui T024SKVA5. Carbon fiber, arca swiss head with a handle that can adjust to any angle. 8 layers of carbon will absorb vibration on windy days. Normally $299.90, members here can call in and get it for $249.99. It folds to a little over 15" and weighs 3lbs with the head.

I am in today until 4:00, tomorrow from 7-6

Happy to answer any questions you may have.

Joel

Camera Land

516-217-1000

How tall is that tripod? 

Buy an outdoors and their pan head. 

ive had and outdoorsman for about 9 years and either the pan head or the micro pan since they came out. With this set out I have no wants. Rugged, reliable and light. 

I have a few friends that in those nine years have probably spent thousands On tripods that “should probably work” or the next big thing. 

Imagine the money they would have saved