joe hunter

Unit 27 outfitter

Thanks. When I first started buying AZ elk points it was taking 8 pts for 27 and 9 or 10 for a unit 1 early archery tag then AZG&F changed everything and it knocked guys backwards 8 to 10 years. If I had known that AZG&F would screw over point holders like they did I never would have started buying points in AZ to start with.

4 hours ago, joe hunter said:

Thanks. When I first started buying AZ elk points it was taking 8 pts for 27 and 9 or 10 for a unit 1 early archery tag then AZG&F changed everything and it knocked guys backwards 8 to 10 years. If I had known that AZG&F would screw over point holders like they did I never would have started buying points in AZ to start with.

Hope you don't have a bunch of Wyoming preference points, they're trying to get a 90/10 split. 

7 minutes ago, 654321 said:

Hope you don't have a bunch of Wyoming preference points, they're trying to get a 90/10 split. 

How is that going to play out? I think I have 5 Lope points.

17 minutes ago, PRDATR said:

How is that going to play out? I think I have 5 Lope points.

I believe the Governor set up a committee and they have 12 months to decide.  Outfitters and ranchers are lobbying hard to keep it the way it is and of course residents want the 90/10 split.  They're also looking pretty hard at a pretty steep increase to NR tag prices. I believe antelope would go from like $346 to around $600.

1 hour ago, 654321 said:

I believe the Governor set up a committee and they have 12 months to decide.  Outfitters and ranchers are lobbying hard to keep it the way it is and of course residents want the 90/10 split.  They're also looking pretty hard at a pretty steep increase to NR tag prices. I believe antelope would go from like $346 to around $600.

They shot that legislation down already

57 minutes ago, MULEPACKHUNTER said:

They shot that legislation down already

yep, didn't make it out of committee on 4/7/21.  The 90/10 isn't dead yet though.

Go figure....lol. I’ve got 10 points in WY for antelope n the wife has 11. You have to be a gambler in the points game today. Spend 10 years or more buying them then Game and Fish changes it all around midstream.

When buying points you just have to know and accept that the game will change over time. They all do.

I’d love it if we could just trash the whole point system and make it all random. The point gag is just a way for G&F departments to hook you into buying a license every year even though you won’t ever use it.

• Like 2

You get drawn , wait 3 yrs then back in, like elk in the 80's

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Flatlander said:

When buying points you just have to know and accept that the game will change over time. They all do.

I’d love it if we could just trash the whole point system and make it all random. The point gag is just a way for G&F departments to hook you into buying a license every year even though you won’t ever use it.

I don't understand the whole I wish it would just go all random.  80% of our draw is random.  There's a reason the state went to a bonus point system in the early 90's and that's because people couldn't draw tag then. Now you have 214,000 apps for elk and antelope and probably only going to get worse. I like the fact that I know i will eventually get a tag if I do my time and I also like the fact I know in every draw that 80% of the tags go into a random draw.

8 hours ago, wildwoody said:

You get drawn , wait 3 yrs then back in, like elk in the 80's

They ditched that in the 80's because it didn't work and that was when there was probably half the demand there is for tags now.

1 hour ago, 654321 said:

I don't understand the whole I wish it would just go all random.  80% of our draw is random.  There's a reason the state went to a bonus point system in the early 90's and that's because people couldn't draw tag then. Now you have 214,000 apps for elk and antelope and probably only going to get worse. I like the fact that I know i will eventually get a tag if I do my time and I also like the fact I know in every draw that 80% of the tags go into a random draw.

If you start applying for a strip tag today with a Hunter's Ed bonus point how many years of "Doing your time" would it take to get a tag?

• Like 2