azelkhunter69

Enough moisture?

Well after about 2 days of nonstop snow we’re up to about 25-30” on our property at around 6000’ elevation in the mountains south of Prescott.  

im no expert on the subject, but from what I’ve read winter snow does more good than later rains, as the slow melt of the snow allows for much more of the snow to be soaked up into the ground and stored by plants.  Not to mention the melt from the higher snow on the peaks will keep creeks running and riparian areas green for far longer than a little rain will.  Sure rain is always a good thing (at least in Az), but this snow is the best thing that could’ve happened to us after a couple long dry summers.

at least that’s what I’m telling myself now so I don’t get too PO’d while digging out my truck to go to work.

C3DC506D-C885-42CC-A971-28B27125FB3D.thumb.jpeg.4522f186cd8ef340374f7896c9bd72a9.jpeg

DF4C1255-9426-4E76-97D2-EC486BF45CD6.thumb.jpeg.aacc2f44a6f45ae32f66d0c4352c15f8.jpeg

• Like 8

Snow is always the best for winter moisture! It sure has been good to see this storm hit. We sure need it.i just hope we get a few more storms of something..ill take any moisture at this point.

• Like 2

+1 on winter snow/rain!!

For me, one of the primary drivers of my interest in 2-3 good winter/spring storms each year is QUAIL! ;)   A couple of well timed 'soakers' like we have received in the past few days will absolutely make a direct impact on the Gambel's population next fall.  With only a couple of weekends left in this year's season, I'm still seeing lots of birds and big coveys in my usual honey holes.  With this storm (and hopefully 1-2 more in the coming months), next year's Gambel's quail season should be another great one!

S.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, PRDATR said:

I saw them eating Junipers a couple of weeks ago in Pine which I though was strange but then I have seen them eat Common Mullein.

image.png.84b66f2d21f52c4f793b557dbef17ce1.png

Elk feed on these a lot after the monsoon in late August, but didn't see many last year with the lack of rain.  BTW, the leaves on this plant can be used to insulate your shoes or even added for padding if you have a boot blowout in the woods.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Outdoor Writer said:

Well...right now....

sundepth.jpg.55229248fd8a3afec202d9d0de81d463.jpg

I wouldn’t trade you for a minute.  I did my 15 years in all that sunlight and thank god every day it’s over ;)

Cool pics Matt,

hope all has been well.

I was tempted to go north this am to do some varmit calling but needed to stay at the shop waiting on material. So my Morbid Shop Cat and I watched yote and bobcat hunting/calling videos in between cleaning up the shop.

• Like 1

In Flagstaff tonight another 6” down in town. Could be 10” up on the mountain. 
one thing is for sure I have not seen the snow as deep as it is now around town. 

Still need more spring and a good monsoon to make it real good.

2” in Heber today, and we’re in the non moisture zone.

On 1/26/2021 at 10:05 AM, mikaele said:

Elk feed on these a lot after the monsoon in late August, but didn't see many last year with the lack of rain.  BTW, the leaves on this plant can be used to insulate your shoes or even added for padding if you have a boot blowout in the woods.   

The leaves also contain an antihistamine. People with asthma used to smoke it before commercialized medicine was available. It was sold in cigarette form in drugstores until the late fifties.

On 1/26/2021 at 9:09 AM, stanley said:

+1 on winter snow/rain!!

For me, one of the primary drivers of my interest in 2-3 good winter/spring storms each year is QUAIL! ;)   A couple of well timed 'soakers' like we have received in the past few days will absolutely make a direct impact on the Gambel's population next fall.  With only a couple of weekends left in this year's season, I'm still seeing lots of birds and big coveys in my usual honey holes.  With this storm (and hopefully 1-2 more in the coming months), next year's Gambel's quail season should be another great one!

S.

Definitely been a better year for the Gambel’s, as we got a lot of rain in February last year.