azelkhunter69

Enough moisture?

Wow, I thought this topic was dead.  Obviously, since the whole draw/CC deadline issue was settled, we moved on to different things to argue about.  To put a cap on this, at least for me, I was just curious what others thought when I originally posted.  It is a subject that intrigues me.  Also, I was trying to figure out what kind of hunts we would put in for.  I am not a guy, nor is my family, one to put in for trophy hunts exclusively.  I love to hunt elk, whether it be cows, bulls, rifle, bow, muzzleloader, etc.  Of course, I want to kill a big bull as much as the next guy.   It was different in years past, where I had many family members applying for elk.  I was willing to wait and put in for early archery hunts for myself, but I got to go on hunts almost every single year for the last 20 because someone got drawn for some kind of hunt.  Well now, my kids are either in school or the military, my dad has passed and my mom has decided since my dad is gone, she no longer has the desire to hunt.  So each year, I pick and choose what kind of hunts I am going to apply for, knowing that I don't have many more archery bull hunts left since I am 52 now and with the way the point creep is going.  The way things were shaping up this winter as I saw them, I/we decided we would just put in for "meat" hunts this year.  Better odds for those of you putting in for early archery hunts!!  I could be wrong and it could be a great year, but I will never regret a day chasing elk...no matter what season.   I hope to see some pics of monsters from you guys in September.  Good luck guys and gals.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, azelkhunter69 said:

Wow, I thought this topic was dead.  Obviously, since the whole draw/CC deadline issue was settled, we moved on to different things to argue about.  To put a cap on this, at least for me, I was just curious what others thought when I originally posted.  It is a subject that intrigues me.  Also, I was trying to figure out what kind of hunts we would put in for.  I am not a guy, nor is my family, one to put in for trophy hunts exclusively.  I love to hunt elk, whether it be cows, bulls, rifle, bow, muzzleloader, etc.  Of course, I want to kill a big bull as much as the next guy.   It was different in years past, where I had many family members applying for elk.  I was willing to wait and put in for early archery hunts for myself, but I got to go on hunts almost every single year for the last 20 because someone got drawn for some kind of hunt.  Well now, my kids are either in school or the military, my dad has passed and my mom has decided since my dad is gone, she no longer has the desire to hunt.  So each year, I pick and choose what kind of hunts I am going to apply for, knowing that I don't have many more archery bull hunts left since I am 52 now and with the way the point creep is going.  The way things were shaping up this winter as I saw them, I/we decided we would just put in for "meat" hunts this year.  Better odds for those of you putting in for early archery hunts!!  I could be wrong and it could be a great year, but I will never regret a day chasing elk...no matter what season.   I hope to see some pics of monsters from you guys in September.  Good luck guys and gals.

wow, you must be pissed! (because you wrote a book!  haha, sorry  bad joke, was referring to another comment in another thread 🤣)  IMHO, this topic has a lot to do with P&Y/B&C) score.  

As far as being 52... I'm well beyond that but this hardly concerns me regarding applying for Sept bull tags!  Everyone has a chance every year to draw tags, but one can be clever about their 1st & 2nd choices too.

& I wish you all good luck in the draw too, especially if I draw one of those coveted tags!  😁

4 hours ago, trphyhntr said:

Then I’ve heard that animals switch feeds in drought years to plants that provide more protein or whatever nutrients but that doesn’t make sense to me at face value 

Ive heard that about Antelope for sure. I haven't done much research about that. My comment was directed that arguably the biggest bulls in the state the last few years (except last year) have come from the desert. An area with historically low moisture levels but that have age and genetics. While unit 1 with the highest moisture levels of the state cant get a bull over 6yrs old. They have some great genetics just not age..Little exaggeration but not much

96 was the drought year and a giant 420+ bull was killed that lived on the WMAT he just happened to jump the fence in 3c. I had a tag that year and I missed a bull that went 404" but that was a gross score and I never saw a picture of him dead.

96 had water everywhere compared to this year.. 😬

10 minutes ago, WHT_MTNMAN said:

Ive heard that about Antelope for sure. I haven't done much research about that. My comment was directed that arguably the biggest bulls in the state the last few years (except last year) have come from the desert. An area with historically low moisture levels but that have age and genetics. While unit 1 with the highest moisture levels of the state cant get a bull over 6yrs old. They have some great genetics just not age..Little exaggeration but not much

96 was the drought year and a giant 420+ bull was killed that lived on the WMAT he just happened to jump the fence in 3c. I had a tag that year and I missed a bull that went 404" but that was a gross score and I never saw a picture of him dead.

96 had water everywhere compared to this year.. 😬

We comparing unit 1 to San Carlos Rez crossers? Yeah the 96 bull is in golden age of elk hunting if I remember. I guess the biggest bulls are drought years. Glad I’m getting a tag this year. I already know the bull I’m gonna kill anyway if he didn’t die from the arrow in the hip 

5 hours ago, trphyhntr said:

I don’t have it in front of me but if remember right, in the book the golden age of elk hunting it states 1999 was a severe drought year, there wasn’t a single book bull killed on the WMAT. 

96 was the first year with out a book elk. 99was another year but Caid blamed that on management of the WMAT

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, trphyhntr said:

We comparing unit 1 to San Carlos Rez crossers? Yeah the 96 bull is in golden age of elk hunting if I remember. I guess the biggest bulls are drought years. Glad I’m getting a tag this year. I already know the bull I’m gonna kill anyway if he didn’t die from the arrow in the hip 

Lol again

.good luck...i hope we both get tags..

• Thanks 1

This bull was 17,18,19. Cant find his 2020 pic. It didnt matter if it was a great year or piss poor he still sucked...on his back end

Id still shoot him

Screenshot_20210311-173529.thumb.png.63eed03ad18c2be4aef6fa7020405277.pngScreenshot_20210311-173434.thumb.png.b82819370e364d92524de5c879580fe4.pngScreenshot_20210311-173332.thumb.png.4e76aeb699d6c16de5562ecaf97d45c6.png

• Like 2

There is always enough in the White Mountians.    Fricken People worry to much.  Just hook up with me or Trophy dude an you will get a good bull !

4 hours ago, trphyhntr said:

I’m going for this one 

image.jpg

With how distorted that picture is, he looks like he's part giraffe.  That 3rd tho!

Too many cameras.   The infrared beam to the eye and into the brain disrupts the growth of antlers.