Sign in to follow this  
bigbuckfever

Close encounter with an F-22 fighter jet

14 minutes ago, PRDATR said:

Love  the MiG-29 though but if I could sit in the co-pilot seat of any bird?  It would be the SR-71. It just doesn't get any better than that.

Migs are cool, saw  2 that defected into Misawa Japan when I was a young kid. Dont remember the exact model. I sure do miss seeing the F-4 Phantoms taking off those things were loud and SUPER fast

• Like 1

I did an archery elk hunt in SE Colorado with astronaut Joe Engle and his son, Jon, who was an USAF captain at the time. In front of the fireplace after dinner each night, both them told tales of some of their flying exploits. At some point during his tours of duty in the Mideast, Jon flew an A10 Warthog. I was sort of stunned when he told us that each 30mm round for the gatling-like canon cost about $150 per and the magazine full held about 1,400 rounds that could be emptied in a minute at the fastest rate of fire.  Practice could get way expensive at that rate. 😲 I don't wanna hear you guys complaining about ammo prices anymore.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Outdoor Writer said:

I did an archery elk hunt in SE Colorado with astronaut Joe Engle and his son, Jon, who was an USAF captain at the time. In front of the fireplace after dinner each night, both them told tales of some of their flying exploits. At some point during his tours of duty in the Mideast, Jon flew an A10 Warthog. I was sort of stunned when he told us that each 30mm round for the gatling-like canon cost about $150 per and the magazine full held about 1,400 rounds that could be emptied in a minute at the fastest rate of fire.  Practice could get way expensive at that rate. 😲 I don't wanna hear you guys complaining about ammo prices anymore.

Whose complaining TM? I've been hoarding years. Still don't have enough.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Zeke-BE said:

Ive always been a plane nut myself.  But OP are you sure it was a 22??  Im betting it was a 35 since we do have them station here at Lukes. 

But when I was 17 years old I was hunting in 36A and I was on top of a mountain and I can see strait ahead of me.  Not much taller than me while standing on that mountain.  It got closer and closer and this F-16 went inverted like what happen to you.  Followed up with another F-16.  Still to this day the Viper is still my favorite Fighter jet   

After looking at the pic posted, I couldn't tell you which one it was as it happened so fast and I am by no means an expert or even really familiar with the differences in the two jets.  My buddy that was camping with me said he had one scare the crap out of him because he didn't see it beforehand, but he said he does know a little about jets and he told me it looked like an F-22 to him.  It very well could have been an F35 (I've never even heard of an F-35 until now , So I could be mistaken in calling it an F22) 😊

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, bigbuckfever said:

After looking at the pic posted, I couldn't tell you which one it was as it happened so fast and I am by no means an expert or even really familiar with the differences in the two jets.  My buddy that was camping with me said he had one scare the crap out of him because he didn't see it beforehand, but he said he does know a little about jets and he told me it looked like an F-22 to him.  It very well could have been an F35 (I've never even heard of an F-35 until now , So I could be mistaken in calling it an F22) 😊

F-35 isn't all that impressive and a bit slower than other jets. Kinda like a 4 door station wagon.

• Haha 3

9 minutes ago, bigbuckfever said:

Does anybody know if they film their training runs?

They do. The footage is reviewed  by squadron commanders much like a football coach would.

Easiest way to tell the F-22 from the F-35 is simple, F-22 has 2 engines.

• Like 1

I have a feeling they will get a kick out of the footage when this jet went over me.  I wear deer ears when I archery hunt, so the pilot probably did a double take when he saw me.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, PRDATR said:

F-35 isn't all that impressive and a bit slower than other jets. Kinda like a 4 door station wagon.

My nephew is an F-35 crew chief. We've had discussions concerning the F-35s capabilities after a recent NATO war game.  Let's just say I am in awe and sleep well at night as they fly sorties over my home.

19 minutes ago, PRDATR said:

This reminds me of when I first moved to Tucson...talking to a fighter pilot I told him I was familiar with bombers and carriers and fighters, but not A-10s...I asked him what they do and completely serious face he says “waste fuel” LoL

that’s not a knock on the A-10 either. Easily my favorite plane now. The station wagon comment reminded me of it though. 

One of the coolest things I’ve seen was on my buddy’s sheep hunt on the Goldwater range...carrier making low passes with ground targets shooting flares so it can practice evasive maneuvers and fire its own countermeasure flares. 

• Like 1

I have a good buddy who trained other A10 pilots at DM, since retired, but he knew I was taking my boy out to unit 33 in Molina Basin for his JR hunt. I texted him my gps cords. He told me to keep my eyes peeled. I was just south of the Az trail just above the pay station on a peak and looked south towards DM around 0900, low and behold I could see a tiny object getting closer. He flew right up Mt Lemmon Hwy/Molina Basin and buzzed us. Every nut and bolt on the undercarriage was visible and the noise was deafening. He did the wing tilt and took off. That was awesome, later that day after he landed he said he flew to unit 27 to do some so called aerial elk scouting (I mean training) for our October cow hunt. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Shooter McGavin said:

I have a good buddy who trained other A10 pilots at DM, since retired, but he knew I was taking my boy out to unit 33 in Molina Basin for his JR hunt. I texted him my gps cords. He told me to keep my eyes peeled. I was just south of the Az trail just above the pay station on a peak and looked south towards DM around 0900, low and behold I could see a tiny object getting closer. He flew right up Mt Lemmon Hwy/Molina Basin and buzzed us. Every nut and bolt on the undercarriage was visible and the noise was deafening. He did the wing tilt and took off. That was awesome, later that day after he landed he said he flew to unit 27 to do some so called aerial elk scouting (I mean training) for our October cow hunt. 

Now that is just awesome.  :D

Two other sayings I like about the A10:

It's been called a cannon with wings.

If you hear its Brrrrrt, then you weren't the target. 

Eddie

• Like 1
  • Haha 1