Sign in to follow this  
roadbomber1

Spotting scope?

I’ve really been debating on getting a spotting scope for years, I have looked through just about all of them at the range but not in any real hunting scenarios. I’ve been putting it off because of the added weight to my pack. My 15x56 slc are my go to and work great but there are times when I would like a little more, I had a hunt this past year and at mid day 900 yrds on the backside of a mountain in the shade I hade 8 coues bucks 2 muley bucks and I could tell they were bucks a few decent ones but still had a hard time telling how big how many points etc. would a good spotting scope make a big difference in those dark shaded situations? Are they really worth the extra weight to pack around? If so which is really the best to go with, looking for clean and crisp out to 2-3000 yards for coues. Still would use my 15s for primary spotting, I know it’s gonna be a to each their own but are the btx with 115 really worth it, atx, stx, big eyes, kowa, nightforce, twin spotters? The few I’ve looked through at coues past 1500 yards just didn’t seem worth it compared to my 15s I noticed more magnification but lost a lot of clarity. Opinions or advice?

I am sure you will get mixed opinions.  I finally bought a Vortex Razor 15-45X60 a couple years ago and carry it quick a bit.  I am not worried about the extra weight yet. So that isn't a concern.  However the times I have used it I wasn't that impressed compared to my  15x56 SLC's.  If I had it to do again I probably wouldn't buy it.  But it is definitely nice for the range when shooting.

• Like 1

In my opinion spotting scopes have to be really high quality in order to maintain clarity. I've looked through the vortex razor spotters and they are not worth the weight and bulk to the pack because for me anyway they are not clear once you get above the middle of their magnification range. However, a good spotter from swarovski, leica, or zeiss is worth it. I have a 25-50x wide angle eye piece on a STS 65 HD body and it is clear even on 50x magnification. Super light and packable and they can be found used for a reasonable price I paid 1500 for mine two years ago.

I’ve got a 20x60x85 vortex razor spotter and it’s clear at 60x and that was at apps 2k yds. 
another option would be to get the 2x doubler for your 15s that Swarovski makes that would give you 30x out of one side using your binos and cheaper than a spotter less weight even less than a range finder